[Reader-list] Modern Assam-Still in the making?

Rajkamal Goswami rajkamalgoswami at gmail.com
Thu Jan 9 03:20:51 CST 2014

Dear All,

My my review of Jayeeta Sharma's book 'Empire's Garden' was published today
in Down To Earth recently.

Here's the link to the unabridged version of it:
http://rkgoswami.blogspot.in/2013/12/modern-assam-still-in-making.html

http://www.downtoearth.org.in/content/assam-and-its-notion-nationhood

".... the continued socio-political marginalization of the tea-tribes in
the contemporary Assam. Economically one of the poorest communities,
innumerable members of them continue to be exploited under the terms of
servile bondage, while mainstream news media demonizes them as barbarians,
uncivilized and even cannibals. They have been the soft targets of many
mass killings and barbaric riots, worst among which happened in 2007, in
plain daylight, in the very presence of the police and paramilitary forces,
in the heart of the Guwahati city close to the Assam State Assembly. The
tea-tribes today thus represent the perpetual ‘outsiders’ in Assam, inspite
of the blood and sweat which they literally shed in the making of Assam.
Without justly assimilating them, can Assam’s tryst with its modernity ever
arrive?"

Any feedback, queries or doubts are welcome.

Warm new year wishes to all,

Warmly
Rajkamal

Rajkamal Goswami,