[Reader-list] Be ready for a fascist onslaught, says CPI(Maoist)

Amit Basole abasole at gmail.com
Tue Jun 10 22:06:58 CDT 2014

This point made by Nagraj is very important: "even as incomes rise, their
quality of life declines because everything is now under the market
including some things  for which they may have depended on their community
or the commons."

One perverse fact about India's recent growth is that even as incomes have
risen, calorie-intake is still falling (from an already low level).
We have found in NSS data that for rural India as a whole, expenditures
have increased in real terms in the past 25 years, but that entire increase
has gone to non-food items (like fuel, education, health, consumer
services). E.g. fuel that was part of the commons is being replaced by
purchased fuel, non-market sources of healthcare are being replaced by
market sources. Some of this may reflect an increased quality of life, but
not all of does. And a significant consequence of increased non-food
expenditures, is that food expenditure is stagnant in real terms (adjusting
for inflation). That is, incomes are not rising enough to allow people to
increase their expenditures on both non-food and food items and they are
prioritizing non-food. The squeezed food budget combined with the fact that
people are purchasing more expensive calories also (like milk, meat,
processed foods instead of grains), means that calorie intake is falling.
See more here:
http://triplecrisis.com/why-is-calorie-intake-falling-if-incomes-are-rising-in-india/#more-9727

Amit