[Reader-list] Public Film Screening of 'Stir. Fry. Simmer' by Vani Subramnian, Bangalore , March 21, 2014, 6pm on wards

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Wed Mar 5 02:05:36 CST 2014

SYNOPSIS

In newspapers, on news channels and in our everyday trips to the market, we are constantly confronted with rising food prices, colossal wastage of food by the State, compromised policies on food security, and other such failures and fractures around food. Yet flipping across the same television channels or newspapers, we could find ourselves lulled into countless conversations on food as art, eating as excess, debates on dieting, cuisines as travel, and even cooking as a ticket to a successful future.

Standing in the midst of it all, not completely insulated from these worlds, and yet, not completely embedded, is our own kitchen. A place where love is often served up with equal portions of routinised cooking. The place where anecdotes heard and experiences lived, forever flavour what we eat, and how we remember eating it. The place where our taste buds learn to flower to the familiar. Conversely of course, our kitchen are also the very place where we learn what food and practices are not ours, separating the edible from inedible, the desired from despised, the irresistible from unacceptable.

As we carry these sensibilities to the outside world, we think our responses to food are ‘instinctive’... but are they? Where does my plate end, and yours begin? Are we what we eat, or do we, in fact, eat what we are?

These are just some of the delightful (and not so delightful questions) that STIR. FRY. SIMMER, a film by Vani Subramanian stirs up as it talk about food, memory, nostalgia, belonging, family, community, nation, alienation, desire and disgust, politics, prejudice and power.

MOVIE EXCERPT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX5GRsHBA_M

Venue: IIHS BANGALORE CITY CAMPUS :: No. 197/36, 2nd Main Road, Sadashivanagar, Bangalore 560 080. India.
P: +91 80 6760 6666  |  F: +91 80 2361 6814