[Reader-list] Fairtrade India.....Calling volunteers!!

Kabir Khan kabirkhan1989 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 01:48:29 CST 2014

Fairtrade is a simple way each one of us can make a difference through our
everyday choices. The movement is about better prices, decent working
conditions, local sustainability, and fairer terms of trade for farmers and
workers.

An alternative approach to conventional trade, Fairtrade is based on a
partnership between producers and traders, businesses and consumers. It
offers producers a better deal and improved terms of trade. It allows them
the opportunity to improve their lives and invest in their future, their
environment and their communities. Fairtrade offers consumers a powerful
way to reduce poverty and ensure environmental sustainability through their
everyday buying decisions.

On top of the Fairtrade Minimum Price, producers also receive the Fairtrade
Premium. How it's spent is voted on democratically by farmers or workers.
This is development as decided by the people who will benefit from it.
After all, they're the ones best placed to make it work the hardest.

*The FAIRTRADE mark*

When a product carries the FAIRTRADE Mark it means the producers and
traders have met Fairtrade Standards
<http://www.fairtrade.net/standards.html>. The Standards are designed to
address the power imbalance in trading relationships, unstable markets and
the injustices of conventional trade.

Fairtrade Certification is carried out by FLO-CERT which is an ISO 65
certified organization operating independently of Fairtrade International-
the standard-setting body.

In India, Fairtrade is working with over 1,21,000 producers and has a range
of products - from coffee to tea and rice and spices to cotton.

*Fairtrade Weekend*

We are looking at building an ethical and sustainable consumer movement in
India, and the Fairtrade Weekend is one step towards it. Our first ever
India weekend will be held on November 21-23, 2014 and will include a host
of activities.

At the weekend, Fairtrade India is planning to grow India's largest
T-shirt, which would be made with Fairtrade and Organic cotton. We are kick
starting our cotton campaign which aims to raise awareness about the plight
of cotton producers in India. Our country is one of the largest cotton
producers in the world and Fairtrade has demonstrated it can substantially
improve the lives of cotton producing communities. For the 3 day event
Fairtrade India is looking for volunteers to help us organize the event
planned in different locations in Bangalore.

Please let us know if you are the person who would like to become part of
the awareness campaign for the cotton producers of India.

Looking forward to your response.

Rashmi Dikshit

8884003434