[Reader-list] Call for Films for Bangalore Queer Film Festival 2015

Namita namita at altlawforum.org
Wed Oct 15 03:47:34 CDT 2014

*The 7th Bangalore Queer Film Festival*

*Call for Submissions*

*Last day for submissions: 15 January 2015*

*The Bangalore Queer Film Festival is open for submissions for 2015!*

Its unbelievable! Its the 7th year and we still can't get enough of your
quirky, loving, fabulous queer films. We invite you to send us your short
and full-length features, short and long documentaries, animation and
experimental films. Please send us your entries and pass this call on to
friends, lovers, ex-lovers(!), colleagues and anyone who might want to send
in smashing films.

BQFF has brought us some erotic and intense, some funny and moving and some
tear-jerking cinematic moments over the years. We have premiered many
unusual Indian short films like *Snarky Baudelaire*, *Item Number*, *Lonely
Walls* and *Raat Baaki*; we have shown exceptionally moving documentaries
such as *How to Survive a Plague*, *Call me Kuchu*, *In-between Days*, *Ebang
Bewarish (and the unclaimed), Madame* and *Lesbian Factory*; Cary
Cronenwett’s re-visioning of the Kronstadt Uprising in *Maggots and Men*;
Ira Sachs’ portrayal of love and addiction in *Keep the Lights On*; Maher
Sabry's film about many queer desires from Egypt *All My Life*; Kortney
Ziegler's portrait of black transmen in North America *Still Black*. We
have showcased amazing work from across Asia, like Khavn De La Cruz’s films
especially the wild and queer film *Mondomanila* from Philippines, Sharmeen
Obaid Chinoy's film on transwomen in Pakistan, the Sri Lankan film about
three star-crossed lovers *Frangipani *by Chandrasekaram Visakesa.

Besides the films, the festival includes an exhibition each year of
photographs and artwork. We have had politically engaging artwork by
transgender artist Living Smile Vidya, and activist Sylvia Karpagam. We've
also had Indu Anthony's ManiFest drag photo project and curations by
photographer Akshay Mahajan. Each year our performers live up to their
yearly promise and pack the hall with a wildly applauding audience.

Once again, with feeling and without institutional funding, with love for
cinema, documentary and short film; or just a depraved passion for sitting
in a dark hall and feeling and feeling up -- we hope to bring our
ever-growing audiences another rollicking festival.

*Please submit your films (made in 2013 or after) for preview. The final
schedule of films will be selected in the second week of February 2015.
Please note the following suggestions/requirements:*

*Films*

We accept films, made in 2013 and after, with themes related to lesbian,
gay,

bisexual, transgender, intersex and other queer populations. Films that
challenge traditional gender and sex / sexuality notions, films about sex
and desire, sex work, BDSM and other queer quirkinesses are welcome.

*Genres*

Please submit films of any form: Features, Shorts, Documentaries, Animation
or Experimental.

*Preview copies*

Submit preview copies of full films online (through vimeo, youtube etc. or
by sending the full film via Dropbox or similar file transfers) or by
sending us the DVD copies to our address. Preview copies submitted for
selection will not be returned. Copies of all films will be kept with the
BQFF Archives.

*Format of Final Submission*

Final submissions are expected on high-quality DVDs only. Contact the
organisers if you require more information or want to use other formats.

*Subtitles*

Since accents vary even among English language films, all films should
preferably have subtitles in English that would be reasonably visible for a
large-format screening.

*Submission/mailing costs*

Mailing costs for the submissions have to be borne by the
director/producer/distributor. The BQFF cannot, at this juncture, support
the costs of receiving copies for preview. Please contact the organisers if
you are unable to bear these costs so as to arrange for alternative ways to
send your films to us.

*Screening Costs*

*As always the BQFF is a FREE event and no charges are levied on
submissions. Additionally, only films that do not charge screening fees
will be accepted.*

*Submission Address*

All preview copies should be sent to the following address.

*Please write “BQFF 2015” on the cover of your submission.*

*SWABHAVA*

*4th Floor, M. S. Plaza*

*No. 1, 13th ‘A’ Cross*

*4th Main, Sampangiramnagar*