[Reader-list] May Day Celebrations: Screening of Made in Dagenham and Reading of SEWA story- 1st May, 2015; Time-18:30 @ Paradigm Shift

Kabir Khan kabirkhan1989 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 30 08:38:31 CDT 2015

Paradigm Shift invites you for May Day celebrations. On May Day we will be
screening British film "Made in Dagenham". The celebrations will begin with
reading passages from the book "We are Poor but so many" by Ela Bhatt
explaining the story of Self Employed Women's Association (SEWA) - one of
the largest informal women workers' trade union. Followed by the movie.

About the movie: Made in Dagenham is a 2010 British film directed by Nigel
Cole. Rita O'Grady (a fictional character) leads the 1968 Ford sewing
machinists strike at the Ford Dagenham plant, where female workers walk out
in protest against sexual discrimination, demanding equal pay. The strike
is successful and leads to the Equal Pay Act 1970. The movie is dramatized
version of what happened during the strike of women workers.

May Day Celebrations are free and open for all. You are most welcome to
bring your friends, colleagues, family members along. Vegan cookies and
lemon tea shall be in the menu. It is recommended to come in white or red
to show solidarity with international workers' movement.