[Reader-list] Swach Bharat Abhiyaan & Smart Cities Mission Consider ‘Waste to Energy’ Smart Solution

Kabir Khan kabirkhan1989 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 4 05:56:20 CDT 2015

*Swach Bharat Abhiyaan & Smart Cities Mission Consider ‘Waste to Energy’
SmartSolution
<http://wastenarratives.com/2015/08/04/swach-bharat-abhiyaan-smart-cities-mission-consider-waste-to-energy-smart-solution/>*

Urban growth in India is going haywire. Infrastructure is crumbling; cities
are choked with pollution and garbage. Majority of the urban populace has
very little access to basic environmental services. New government at union
level has prioritized cities as an important area for India’s
transformation. Urban centres are and will be the engines of growth. It’s
important to understand policies and their implication on urban India.*
Swach Bharat Abhiyaan *(Clean India Mission), Atal Mission for Rejuvenation
and Urban Transformation (AMRUT) and Smart Cities Mission are talk of the
day.  In this blog –post we will be looking at Solid Waste Management
framework proposed in Swach Bharat Abhiyaan and Smart Cities Mission.

Guidelines begin with Presidential address to the joint session of
parliament on 9th June, 2014*: “We must not tolerate the indignity of homes
without toilets and public spaces littered with garbage. For ensuring
hygiene, waste management and sanitation across the nation, a “Swachh
Bharat Mission” will be launched. This will be our tribute to Mahatma
Gandhi on his 150**th **birth anniversary to be celebrated in the year
2019”*.

The ambit of Swach Bharat Abhiyaan is fairly big. It incorporates detailed
elements including toilet designs when it comes to sanitation. The
guidelines also include framing of solid waste management. Urban and rural
India is the geography of the mission.

Mission strategy on solid waste management includes focus on special groups
and talks about integration of informal sector workers in waste
management. Continued
here...
<http://wastenarratives.com/2015/08/04/swach-bharat-abhiyaan-smart-cities-mission-consider-waste-to-energy-smart-solution/>

Regards