[Reader-list] चाय with चाचा: Talk on Mobility in Bengaluru’s ever Expanding Urbanity – 24th January, 2015; Time: 1830 @ Paradigm Shift

Kabir Khan kabirkhan1989 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 21 04:50:52 CST 2015

चाय with चाचा: Talk on Mobility in Bengaluru's ever Expanding Urbanity
<https://www.facebook.com/events/408054532687260/?ref=51&source=1>

If you’re a pedestrian you have to wear trekking shoes to move around in
Bangalore as the pavements are no different from young fold mountains-
Himalayas.

If you’re thinking of taking buses to commute in the city, better take a
bicycle that will be more comfortable and less time consuming than public
transportation.

If you cycle around the city keep a signed “will” always with you saying
that you are cycling at your own risk.

Bangalore or Bengaluru aspires to be a world class city, and when we say
world class it means metro-trains, mono-rails, sky-walks and malls for
those who can afford. Those who can’t afford it, better leave the city, it
is not made for you. That is where we have reached. Mobility in the city is
no less than a herculean task, with all the given difficulties most of us
undertake it every day.

Do we have stories to share- as commuters who are pushed in the bus like a
mindless flock, with no dignity and respect, as a cyclists who is forced to
feel unsafe but have no choice as public transportation is very expensive,
as a pedestrian who have no other choice but to walk on urinated pavements,
as a late night commuter who has to rely on feet for traversing distances
as the autorickshaw fares are skyrocketing and there is no intermediate
transportation available at those hours.

Yes, we all do have stories and we also want to have a say in public
mobility. This weekend we at Paradigm Shift are going to look at some of
our stories and visions of mobile Bengaluru as a part of चाय with चाचा
series. The conversation will be facilitated by Vinay Sreenivasa, from
Hasiru Usiru. He will be sharing his experiences of working on urban
mobility, challenges he faced both as an activist and a commuter. The floor
will be open for all participants to share their reflections and visions
with Vinay Sreenivasa moderating and responding to the questions raised.

Do join us! Vegan cookies and lemon tea shall be waiting for you.