[Reader-list] DISCUSSION ON ..AGRICULTURE AND THE.. ....ECOLOGICAL CRISIS...

Asit Das asit1917 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 5 03:24:24 CDT 2015

DISCUSSION ON

..AGRICULTURE AND THE..
 ....ECOLOGICAL CRISIS.....

*Presentations by:*

Abhra Chakraborty
*on *
Sustainable Development and Food Security
The agricultural policies of the state since the green revolution have
compromised the country’s food security. The emphasis on genetic
engineering in the '2nd green revolution' is further endangering the food
sovereignty of the country. In the present context of crisis in
agriculture,  theory of metabolic alienation, forwarded by Marx as a
critique of the capitalistic system from an ecological perspective gives us
important resources to think of our present situation.

and

Andre Ling
*on *
Agriculture in the time of Ecological Crisis
Not much can be said about agriculture without considering broader
political economic questions about the nature of food production,
consumption, land relations and now climate change which raises many
challenges in this context. Several contested models of agriculture are
being advanced by different interests at present which leave unchallenged
and feed into the existing narratives of industrial 'development'. All of
these issues would be touched upon extensively.

To discuss a more explicit ecological way of thinking would force us to
admit the possibility of re-imagining agriculture as deeply linked to
re-imagining all other aspects of our economic systems. However, this would
also involve reviewing conceptions of nature and our relationship to it.

Friday, 5th June, 6pm,
JNUSU office, Teflas, JNU

Krantikari Naujawan Sabha