[Reader-list] Traditional fishers plan Parliament march

T Peter peter.ksmtf at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:15:48 CDT 2015

*Traditional fishers plan Parliament march*

http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/tp-kerala/traditional-fishers-plan-parliament-march/article7042460.ece

SPECIAL CORRESPONDENT

The traditional fishermen community in the State is preparing for a mass
mobilisation as part of a nationwide agitation against the threats posed by
the neglect of the sector by the Central government and the restrictions
imposed on fishing activities at sea.

The National Fishworkers Forum (NFF), spearheading the agitation, is
planning to take out a march to Parliament on April 22 urging the Union
government to scrap the B. Meenakumari Committee report on deep-sea fishing
policy and cancel the Letters of Permit (LoPs) issued to foreign fishing
vessels. The forum wants the Centre to create a separate Ministry for
fisheries and protect coastal areas from land grabbers. The NFF is also
putting up stiff resistance to the move to extend the monsoon fishing ban
from 45 to 61 days for all motorised boats, including those fitted with
outboard engines, as recommended by the G. Syda Rao Committee.

"There is a concerted move to open up our fishing grounds to corporate
powers even as more restrictions are being imposed on traditional fishing
activities. This constitutes an infringement of our rights and threatens to
rob us of our livelihood," says T. Peter, secretary, NFF. "To make things
worse, the budget allocation for the fisheries sector has been slashed by
Rs.10 crore."

*Coastal hartal*

on Meanwhile, the Kerala Fisheries Coordination Committee has issued a call
for a coastal hartal in the State on April 8 to highlight the threats faced
by the traditional fishers. Fishermen will stay away from work and fish
markets will down shutters.