[Reader-list] Fishermen upset over passport norm

T Peter peter.ksmtf at gmail.com
Fri Mar 27 22:51:12 CDT 2015

Fishermen upset over passport norm

http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31811&articlexml=Fishermen-upset-over-passport-norm-28032015005043

The government's move to make passports mandatory for fishermen travelling
to international waters has drawn mixed reactions from the fishermen
community. On Friday , the external affairs ministry said that the Passport
Act, 1967, provides that no person shall depart from, or attempt to depart
from India unless he holds a valid passport or travel document.The rule
will be in effect from June 1.

T Peter, national secretary of the National Fish Workers' Forum said the
new rule was draconic. "India's exclusive economic zone extends up to 200
nautical miles, which is around 360km.When they say we need a passport to
go beyond that, we would also like to know who would issue the visa. This
rule is harassment and we strongly condemn it." As per the gazette
notification issued by the government of India in 1968, in view of the
functional requirement of seamen's foreign travel, members of the crew and
tindals of sailing vessels (holding identity cards or permits, under the
Sailing Vessels (Members of Crew) Rules, 1967) were exempted from holding
passports before travelling abroad. This provision allowed seamen to travel
abroad on the basis of their identity card. Such a rule should also
properly define what good it does to fishermen, said Char les George of
Kera la Matsya Thozhi lali Aikyavedi (TUCI). "Will it give an assurance
that they will not get arrested if they happen to cross borders? Also,
there should be a provision to carry a duplicate as we will be going to
deep water territory . There is no guarantee that we can keep it safe," he
added. "If their aim is to keep a check on vessels travelling abroad, what
we need is automated information systems capable of providing information
about a ship to other ships and to coastal authorities, not passports,"
said general secretary of All Kerala Fishing Boat Operators' Association
Joseph Xavier Kalappirackal.