[Reader-list] Fwd: FD Zone Delhi Screening on Tuesday, 13th October, 7 p.m. - "WASTED" - dir. Anirban Datta

Amit Mahanti amit.mahanti at gmail.com
Sat Oct 10 03:24:21 CDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: FDZ Delhi <fdzone.delhi at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, Oct 9, 2015 at 12:13 PM
Subject: FD Zone Delhi Screening on Tuesday, 13th October, 7 p.m. -
"WASTED" - dir. Anirban Datta
To: FDZ Delhi <fdzone.delhi at gmail.com>

FD Zone Delhi Screening

on 13 October 2015, 7 p.m.

Gulmohar Hall, India Habitat Centre, Lodhi Road, New Delhi

In the 22nd edition of FD Zone Delhi, we bring to you *Anirban Datta’s *film,
*Wasted*. The film looks at the concept of waste and recycle in India from
an easterner’s gaze with a western vocabulary, in a media language that
blooms through the unavoidable influence of the global network society.

*Wasted (52 min/ 2012)*

The uniqueness of documentary filmmaking is the possibility of recording
events unfolding along the perimeter of the subject. That’s where this film
was born. With tears and with the loss of a very dear friend, ‘Wasted’ was
conceived.

Ancient agrarian India believed nothing is waste. No Indian vernaculars
have a word for waste. It came as a concept with the industrial revolution,
borne by the colonial history onto an ancient agrarian culture.

Waste has become a currency of development now. ‘Wasted’ is a personal
accord vis-à-vis India and the mountain of waste it produces as a global
economic giant. Also, looking back at me as a documentary filmmaker and the
waste I produce to make my films, the film tries to look back at material I
shot for my previous films and tries to use them as found footage.

*[Written and directed* by Anirban Datta; *Produced by* Rajiv
Mehrotra; *Commissioned
by* Public Service Broadcasting Trust; *Image* - Amlan Datta, Animesh
Mondal; *Edit* - Sankha, Diksha Sharma; *Sound* - Subhadeep Sengupta; *Location
music recording* - Sanjib Saha; *Music* - Pradip Chatterjee; *Associates* -
Direction: Ankur Das, Kunal Chawdhury; Production - Prakash Shukla, Sahadeb
Maity, Manoj Kumar, Vinod Kumar; *Graphics* – Kamolesh; *Production Company*
– Amnesian; *Copyright* – PSBT]

Festival Screenings

*Bangladesh Short Film & Documentary Festival, Dhaka  Astra Film Festival,
Romania Sheharnama Festival, Mumbai John Abraham National Film Awards
,Signs,Kerala *

*About Anirban Datta*

Anirban Datta, born in 1975 in Kolkata, started his career as a
screenwriter before he joined Satyajit Ray Film & TV Institute (SRFTI), as
a student of Direction & Screenplay Writing. His short documentary film ‘*Here
is my Nocturne’* (2004), part of SRFTI, was screened in major Indian film
festivals. ‘*Tetris’*, his diploma film from SRFTI in 2006, was premiered
in Cannes’06 as an official selection and travelled to other important
international festivals. ‘*Chronicle of an Amnesiac’*, made for the
Japanese public broadcaster NHK in 2007, was his first film after SRFTI,
and received the prestigious Rajat Kamal — Special Jury Award; it also
received the John Abraham National Award for best documentary in SIGNS’07,
Kerala, India.

He has also served as a jury member, non-feature section, for Indian
National Film Awards 2008. ‘.*in for motion’* is his second film tracing
India’s recent growth after economic liberalisation and the information
revolution vis-à-vis its effect on Indian populace. A co-production with
Steps India and YLE Finland, the film received Jan Vrijman Fund and
premiered in IDFA’08, Amsterdam. The film won prestigious Rajat Kamal Best
film on Environment, Indian National Film Awards 2009. ‘*.in for motion’* was
screened in 54th Dok-Leipzig. ‘*Wasted’*, a 52 min documentary on waste and
recycling is his most recent directorial work. He has also produced a two
hour-long documentary called ‘*BOM a.k.a. One day ahead of democracy’*,
directed by Amlan Datta, a co-production with NHK, Sundance documentary
fund, Jan Vrijman. ‘*BOM’ *also received Rajat Kamal, in National Film
Awards 2011.

He has taught as Asst. Professor, Direction Dept, for a year in Film &
Television Institute of India, Pune. He is also working as a visual &
installation artist with Performers Independent for the last couple of
years and has collective shows with galleries such as Studio 21, a studio
under CIMA Art Gallery, Kolkata. He has participated in a multi-discipline
art collective for Khoj International Artists’ Association, and Vasudha Art
Festival, Bhubaneshwar in 2014.

Warm regards,

FD Zone Delhi team

FD Zone, Delhi