[Reader-list] Act against right-wing groups

Asit Das asit1917 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 1 04:33:35 CDT 2015

I/II.
http://www.thehindu.com/opinion/editorial/mm-kalburgi-murder-case-act-against-rightwing-groups/article7600393.ece?homepage=true

OPINION » EDITORIAL

September 1, 2015
Updated: September 1, 2015 00:06 IST

Act against right-wing groups

Sunday’s murder in Dharwad of the outspoken Kannada scholar, M.M.
Kalburgi, is tragic and alarming. It is the first such instance in
Karnataka, which has a tradition of free speech and a record of
outspoken scholars and writers. Kalburgi, a Sahitya Akademi award
winner and an authority on Vachana literature, was known for his sharp
criticism and questioning of superstitious beliefs, and received a
death threat from the leader of a fringe right-wing group last year.
Since June 2014 he was given police protection but some months ago he
requested that it be withdrawn. While the identity of the two
assailants, and their motive, are yet to be conclusively established,
the nature of the threats against him has led investigators and the
intelligentsia to suspect the role of fringe groups. This, especially
given the backdrop of the murder of rationalist writer Narendra
Dabholkar in 2013, and of CPI activist Govind Pansare in 2015, both in
Maharashtra. In all the three cases the assailants were
motorcycle-borne, and shot from point-blank range.

While hasty conclusions on the latest murder would be imprudent, there
is no denying that fringe right-wing groups have created an atmosphere
of intolerance to outspoken writers and academics who question
religious practices and myths, thereby putting pressure on freedom of
speech and expression. Soon after Kalburgi’s murder, a case was filed
by the police in Mangaluru against a Bajrang Dal activist who tweeted
that the “next” victim would be the Kannada writer K.S. Bhagwan, and
the activist was arrested. The social media have amplified such
threats, which are acerbic and abusive in nature and typically target
writers or academics who question ideologies and religious beliefs.
There is enough evidence of the use of brute force by these fringe
groups to enforce their points of view. There is a need to crack down
on these groups which profess violence. It is important to use for
some of these outfits the same yardstick as is used for other
religion- and ideology-based extremist groups. Unfortunately, a
majority of the cases filed against them or their leaders for
inflammatory and abusive remarks and even violent acts do not result
in convictions, and that emboldens them further. It is also crucial to
monitor and promptly curb threats made through social media. These
actions are needed to ensure that daring, fierce and tempered academic
and literary opinion continues to be freely expressed without fear of
any retribution. Whether or not fringe groups were involved in
Kalburgi’s murder is immaterial here.

II.
http://www.dnaindia.com/india/report-mm-kalburgi-murder-bajrang-dal-leader-arrested-for-threatening-tweet-2120476

MM Kalburgi Murder: Bajrang Dal leader arrested for threatening tweet

Monday, 31 August 2015 - 5:54pm IST | Agency: dna webdesk

Responding to the tweet from Bajrang Dal co-convener Bhuvith Shetty,
Bhagwan said, "I got to know through the press, I feel sorry for such
persons. At this juncture, I request the government to view this
matter very seriously and round up the miscreants and take suitable
action."

Bajrang Dal leader Bhuvith Shetty who had tweeted welcoming the death
of the MM Kalburgi has been arrested by the Mangalore Rural Police,
ANI reported. Shetty had written in the tweet: "Then it was UR
Ananthamurthy and now MM Kalburgi. Mock Hinduism and die dogs (sic.)
death. And dear KS Bhagwan you are next."

Responding to the tweet from Bajrang Dal co-convener Bhuvith Shetty,
KS Bhagwan said, "I got to know through the press, I feel sorry for
such persons. At this juncture, I request the government to view this
matter very seriously and round up the miscreants and take suitable
action."

"Kalburgi was a great scholar of Karnataka, he used to say to me that
we sail in the same boat," ANI quoted the writer as saying.

Bhuvith Shetty
@GarudaPurana

Then it was U R Anantamoorty and now its MM Kalburgi. Mock Hinduism
and die a dogs death. And dear K.S Bhagwan you are next.

8/30/15, 10:41 AM

Meanwhile a CID probe has been ordered by the Karnataka CM. "We have
decided to hand over the case to CID.... This incident should not have
happened. It is highly condemnable," Chief Minister Siddaramaiah told
reporters here, a day after Kalaburgi was shot dead at point-blank
range by two unidentified men.

77-year-old Kalburgi was an associate of rationalist Govind Pansare of
Kolhapur in Maharashtra, who also fell victim in similar circumstances
in February, and had drawn the ire of some right-wing Hindu outfits
like VHP and Bajrang Dal with his remarks about idol worship by
Hindus.

He had often spoken against superstitions and courted controversies
with his outspoken stand. At Dharwad this morning, hundreds of
admirers of Kalburgi paid last respects to him. The funeral will take
place later in the day today. Yesterday, the attackers had knocked at
the door of Kalburgi's house claiming to be his students and as it was
opened, they pumped bullets into his forehead and chest and fled. He
died in a hospital.

"Whoever is behind this, we will catch them and punish according to
law," said the Chief Minister, who visited Dharwad to pay last
respects to Kalburgi. Asked if the sleuths have got any clues, Home
Minister K J George said the probe was being started. "It will be
investigated from all angles."

Kalburgi was a winner of central and state "Sahitya Akademi" awards,
he had also suggested the need for a better state anthem. Part of his
works on "Vachana"(verses)" literature had also come under criticism
of the state's majority "veerashaiva" (Lingayat) community, a liberal
Shaivism founded by 12th century philosopher, poet and social reformer