[Reader-list] Story of a Woman Alone on a Train (in auto) Concealing Dark Secrets

Kabir Khan kabirkhan1989 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 08:26:47 CDT 2015

Story of a Woman Alone on a Train (in auto) Concealing Dark Secrets
<https://maleccha.wordpress.com/2015/09/08/story-of-a-woman-alone-on-a-train-in-auto-concealing-dark-secrets/>

In our political discourse and while listening to the sermons of economists
we are told that there are two Indias: One that is rising and shining and
the other which is backward and drowning under the debt and violence. ‘The
Cosmpolitans’ by Anjum Hasan sees through the given artificial binary, to
move beyond it. It becomes the story of many Indias- Bangalore, Benares,
Simhala, Ispatnagar, Dharti. In the story we see those many Indias through
the eyes of an ‘almost’ menopausal woman, Qayenaat, ‘*Qayenaat, meanwhile,
came to believe that the world is divided into people who performed their
lives and people who were audience for this performance; she with her
shyness and her patchy history fell, naturally in the second category.’ *Though
she believes that she falls in the second category, she is the most
important performer.

[image: WP_20150906_22_24_48_Pro]
<https://maleccha.files.wordpress.com/2015/09/wp_20150906_22_24_48_pro.jpg>Anjum
in a recent interview
<http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/thWQdyO4BI4MGNavz11zWL/Writers-at-work-Anjum-Hasan.html>
for
a daily was asked about the life around art, as according to the columnist,
the given novel is about art. Her response was that ‘*it’s hard to say with
absolute certainty what you’re trying to express through the novel.*’
That’s the beauty of ‘The Cosmopolitans’ as it touches many
dimensions. Continued
here...
<https://maleccha.wordpress.com/2015/09/08/story-of-a-woman-alone-on-a-train-in-auto-concealing-dark-secrets/>
Regards