[Reader-list] Public Reading of ‘The Cosmpolitans’ with Anjum Hasan - 21st September, 2015 @ 16:30 - Venue: Radio Active, Jain University

Kabir Khan kabirkhan1989 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 23:28:06 CDT 2015

Public Reading of ‘The Cosmpolitans’ with Anjum Hasan
<https://www.facebook.com/events/871977132888042/?ref=1&action_history=%5B%7B%22surface%22%3A%22permalink%22%2C%22mechanism%22%3A%22surface%22%2C%22extra_data%22%3A%5B%5D%7D%5D>

Radio Active is excited and delighted to invite you for public reading of
‘The Cosmopolitans’.

The Cosmopolitan: The Cosmopolitan is a recently published novel written by
Anjum Hasan. It is the story of Bangalore and a Bangalorean, Qayanat- her
banal life surrounded by art and a long journey is full of intrigues.

"Qayenaat, meanwhile, came to believe that the world was divided into
people who performed their lives and people who were audience for this
purpose; she with her shyness and her patchy history fell, naturally, in
the second category."
There is more to the story of Qayanat- the protagonist of the novel,
according to Anjum ‘… she’s had various kinds of life experiences.... I
think I was able to give her more depth because of the time that elapsed
between starting and finishing her story. In all my books, I have been
concerned with the individual—and I wondered if one could create an
engaging character out of a woman at that stage (age 53) of her life.
Qayenaat is steeped in the arts and she draws sustenance from it, but that
doesn’t mean she is sorted emotionally…. She is caught between her father,
who represents the idealism of Nehruvian era, and younger people like Baban
Reddy, who have a different kind of confidence and a different relationship
to India. That is a very interesting space for fiction—and while she is not
a representative of that generation, some of her anxieties are
generational….

Some of the things I’m talking about are also current in a very general
sense. Like money, and how it has changed contemporary India. Then there’s
the whole urban construct, as alienating as it is fascinating. My concern
is: Is this really the norm or is there another way of living? …’ –
Published in Live Mint.

To read more about the novel, click here...
<https://maleccha.wordpress.com/2015/09/08/story-of-a-woman-alone-on-a-train-in-auto-concealing-dark-secrets/>

About the Author: Anjum Hasan is the author of two novels, Lunatic in My
Head (Shortlisted for the Crossword Book Award) and Neti, Neti (long listed
for the Man Asian Literary Prize and the DSC Prize for South Asian
Literature and shortlisted for The Hindu Literary Prize), a book of poetry
called Street on the Hill and, most recently, a collection of short
stories, Difficult Pleasures (Shortlisted for The Hindu Literary Prize and
The Crossword Book Award). She is also the Book Editor of The Caravan – A
Journal of Politics and Culture published by Delhi Press.

Do join us for the reading. Anjum Hasan- the author will be reading
passages from the novel. She will also be sharing her reflections during
the discussion. Copies for the novel will be available for sale. Invitation
is open for all.