[Reader-list] Ektara magazine, January 2017

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 31 11:17:33 CST 2016

Ektara magazine, January 2017

Dear friends and subscribers

A very happy new year to all

As we complete one year of our monthly magazine on the arts and history of India and South Asia, we bring some changes. Firstly, our initial name (etihas.in) is being changed to Ektara. Moreover, the frequency of the magazine in 2017 will be bi-monthly (once every two months), and we hope to bring richer content to you in every issue.

The magazine can be visited at http://ektara.org/magazine

We hope our stories and interviews will entertain and inspire you, and arouse your appetite for more about our rich and diverse pasts. Please subscribe to our youtube channel at http://goo.gl/Camze8

This month’s issue features the following items:

1. Ustad Rahim Fahimuddin Dagar: Continuity and Change in Music Traditions
Indian classical vocalist Ustad Rahim Fahimuddin Dagar (1927-2011) talks about the changes taking place not only in the music traditions but also in cultural values in modern India. Recorded in a conference on 'Partition and Hindustani Music' held on 22-23 August 2008 at New Delhi.
https://youtu.be/z2bfIgHc1Ss

2. Kashmir in Historic Film Footage
Many agencies and archivists have recorded film in the Himalayan region of Kashmir since the early 20th century, featuring many undiscovered vistas of life in the valley.
http://ektara.org/magazine/kas hmirfootage.html

3. Featured Video: The Masters of the Rivers - Mysteries of Mohenjo-Daro
In the series Civilizations, this is an in-depth documentary film about the city of Mohenjo-Daro that existed on the banks of the Indus River in South Asia. The video is narrated by Simon Chilvers.
https://youtu.be/h8BJTggtwW0

4. Announcements: Call for Papers from Tasveer Ghar
Manly Matters: Representations of maleness in South Asian popular visual practice. Kindly see the details about this call here: http://goo.gl/8vTKSx

Please see the list of previous issues here. http://ektara.org/magazine/lis t.html

This initiative is run entirely on voluntary basis, and your support has made it possible to carry it on for this entire year. We have made a DVD of all the videos of 2016 issues for you to order from us. Kindly let us know if you would like to order our video DVD.

Thanks for spreading our message afar.

Ektara team

----

http://www.ektara.org/magazine /