[Reader-list] The Debate of Intolerance & Brahmin Identity

Kabir Khan kabirkhan1989 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 6 12:51:45 CST 2016

The Debate of Intolerance & Brahmin Identity
<https://maleccha.wordpress.com/2016/01/06/the-debate-of-intolerance-brahmin-identity/>

Now that the steam is settled on the issue of intolerance, it is time to
look back and reflect. ‘Intolerance’ became the buzz word for the later
part of last year. I was worried, whether my being ‘lactose intolerant’
will result in a new controversy.

Few months ago, I got to know that *‘I am lactose intolerant’*, and there
are many like me. Ah – wait; no need to call me and the others like me anti
national- Pakistani agents, because we can’t digest the milk of the mother
of many Indians, largely Brahmins.

Please I don’t want some Brahmin activist to return her award, which no one
ever knew about, for my milk intolerance. It was given to her in late 80s.
‘The gate of Indian economy opened with the unlocking of Babri Masjid in
early 90s.’ She wasn’t very known, as was yet to win a prestigious award.
There was a precedent of returning awards; both Khushwant Singh and Bhagat
Puran Singh Pingalwara returned the awards given by the state in 1984 to
protest against the attack on Golden Temple. The invasion of Golden Temple
was replicated in 1992 in Ayodhya, where a mob attacked an age old mosque.
There is stark resemblance between the two incidents. I was too young to
notice, I am sure at that time many would have reflected on the similarity
between the two. When Modi Bhakts get in ‘what aboutery’ mode, I am put off
by their arguments. Still there is some level of truth in what they say.
The temperature of intolerance was apparently higher in early 90s. Why did
the Brahmin activist not return the award at that time? ‘Nation needs an
answer!’ Maybe the decision of returning the unknown award on the name of
intolerance was taken to score brownie points against the ‘vernacular’
writers, as they were getting more attention. By the way, same goes for
Nehru’s niece.

It seems that liberalism in India is associated with Brahminism. At some
level individuals adhering to liberal values, also carry the flag of their
caste. They (don’t be surprised, the same Brahmin activist) appropriate
texts- their sycophant fans and friends defend them without engaging with
the critiques and term the critics to be intolerant and jealous, publicity
seeking individuals.Well, they have been calling anyone and everyone who
challenges them to be intolerant, even before the incident of Dadri. It’s
just that Dadri episode gave them an opportunity to distract the large
Indian audience from questions of appropriation. Continued here..
<https://maleccha.wordpress.com/2016/01/06/the-debate-of-intolerance-brahmin-identity/>

Regards

कबीर/کبیر

Phone:00-91-96-63-427-315