[Reader-list] Fwd: A Workout for the Body, Mind and Soul - Khel Kalari | Kolkata, January 27th - 30th

Arka Mukhopadhyay arka.mukhopadhyay at gmail.com
Mon Jan 11 11:38:05 CST 2016

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: The Arshinagar Project <thearshinagarproject at gmail.com>
Date: 11 January 2016 at 22:59
Subject: A Workout for the Body, Mind and Soul - Khel Kalari | Kolkata,
January 27th - 30th

A very happy new year to all our friends in Kolkata. We are happy to
announce our workshop on 'Khel-Kalari', a combination of martial art,
movement and voice, from January 27th - 30th

'Kalari' in Malaylam means a 'place of learning', like a 'pathshaala' or an
'akhaara'. Specifically, it refers to the martial art form of
Kalaripayattu. Khel-Kalari thus means a place where learn to play, to give
free rein to our innate creativity and humanity. It is a complete system of
engaging and invigorating the body, voice and imagination, based on the
structures of the southern style of Kalaripayattu and also using elements
from physical theatre, creative movement and voice work. It is a path to
self-awareness on the physical, emotive and spiritual planes.

Among the oldest martial art forms of the world, Kalaripayattu from the
Indian state of Kerala is a complete system of body-mind-spirit practice
based on ancient knowledge of the physical and spiritual aspects of the
human being. It gives the practitioner a heightened sense of
self-awareness, centring, grounding and stillness, leading to an awakening
of the inner,creative potential. Of the two main styles of the form,
northern and southern, the latter is based on a number of organic movement
patterns comprising stretches, lunges and twists that orient the body
towards the four cardinal directions, while enhancing breath focus,
balance, skeletal alignment, flexibility and strength.

Each session will begin with a creative warm-up that not only engages the
body, but also the breath, voice and imagination through exercises and
games involving all the five senses. The central segment will be based on
the basic sequences of Kalaripayattu, and the session will culminate with
improvisation with movement and sound, and meditation.

Dates: January 27th - 30th
Time: 8:30 AM to 10:30 AM
Venue: Disharee School, 51 A Ballygunge Circular Road, opp. Ballygunge
Science College Hostel, near Ballygunge Phaari
Fees: 1,400
Contact: +919831731422/ thearshinagarproject at gmail.com

--

The Arshinagar Project
thearshinagarproject.in

*Upcoming Workshop*

<http://thearshinagarproject.in/2015/11/06/training-untraining-utopia-theatre-of-connection-workshop-india-kerala/>
Theatre of Connection workshop on TRAINING-UNTRAINING-UTOPIA by Stamatis
<http://thearshinagarproject.in/2015/11/06/training-untraining-utopia-theatre-of-connection-workshop-india-kerala/>

*Support Us*

Support our participation at IInd International Theatre Festival of Solo
Performance, "Solo Tu" in Spain.
<https://www.facebook.com/events/451183665053051/>

--

The Arshinagar Project