[Reader-list] Rare are Those who Meet a Complete Woman…The interview of Imroz- a painter and the lover of Amrita Pritam

Kabir Khan kabirkhan1989 at gmail.com
Sun Mar 6 01:43:47 CST 2016

Rare are Those who Meet a Complete Woman…
<https://maleccha.wordpress.com/2016/03/06/rare-are-those-who-meet-a-complete-woman/>

*The interview of Imroz- a painter and the lover of Amrita Pritam*

Few days ago a friend of mine, shared the interview of Imroz on facebook.
It was done by Imran Khan and published on the website called ‘Punjab in
Holland’ <http://www.punjabiinholland.com/news/22997---.aspx>. It was also
published on a blog before- Ghulam Kalam
<http://ghulamkalam.blogspot.in/2013/02/blog-post_6.html>. Imroz is a
painter and a poet and lover of Amrita Pritam. The interview is in Punjabi.
It is very rare to find his thoughts in public domain. There is deep down
desire to translate Amrita Pritam’s writings in English, thought let me
just start by translating the interview of the lover of Amrita Pritam and
slowly- slowly move towards her novels. I have chosen not to translate the
whole introduction written by the interviewer as there is some confusion
around articulation of it. Though translating some observations he made. If
you read through the interview, you will observe that Imroz is talking
about Amrita Pritam in present tense. For the rest Amrita is not there in
this world anymore, but she is alive. If you want to meet Amrita, you have
to meet Imroz. Amrita is alive in him. He says Amrita is alive, we can’t
deny that. For the same reason he has used the present tense to acknowledge
her presence. He also says that a complete woman comes to the life of the
one whom she loves, and you cannot prohibit love.

*You are a painter; why is it that you never exhibited your paintings or
sold it?*

I am an artist, I know that. Why should I go on telling people about my
existence as a painter? The one who likes my paintings will come and take
them. Neither I nor Amrita likes the idea that people should know us. When
you exhibit your work, many people visit those who don’t even know you.
What purpose does that serve? It is all waste of time. I should know that I
am an artist, for the others their awareness of it does not matter. I and
Amrita live like this. If you read, you will find that a lot of writers
have a 4-5 page long introduction to their presented work, which is written
by someone else. It straightaway looks like obliging the writer. There are
more than 75 books written by Amrita which have been published. I have
never ever seen such a thing. We lived our life for ourselves. I know
Amrita and Amrita knows me. It’s more than enough to know just one person.
I am Amrita’s social life and Amrita is mine. And with that we don’t have a
need of anyone else. Continued here...
<https://maleccha.wordpress.com/2016/03/06/rare-are-those-who-meet-a-complete-woman/>

Regards

कबीर/کبیر