[Reader-list] Contemporary Conference 14-16th December 2017

The Sarai Programme dak at sarai.net
Thu Dec 7 06:48:34 CST 2017

*What Time Is It? Technologies of Life in the Contemporary *

14th, 15th, 16th December 2017

*Locations*: Sarai-CSDS, Delhi and Goethe-Institut / Max Mueller Bhavan,
New Delhi

*Conference* *Convenors*: Ravi Sundaram, Ravi Vasudevan (Sarai, CSDS), and
Monica Narula, Jeebesh Bagchi, and Shuddhabrata Sengupta (Raqs Media
Collective)

*The Backdrop*

In the past decade we have seen the worldwide spread of media and
information networks. Since value is now gained from experience, new
corporations and political parties deploy strategies using digital media
technologies. Media-enabled populations in Asia, Africa and Latin America
are now part of a new infrastructure of the senses. These infrastructures
have produced a new generation of art and media practitioners. Like
everywhere, such transformations have set in motion a sense of
indetermination and flux, providing opportunities, shadow zones and
critical discourses.

This conference seeks to explore experience from the vantage point of these
media-informational transformations. We will be debating art practice,
cultural theory, media aesthetics, social theory, forensics, urbanism, and
the landscape of the political. Time horizons and philosophies are a major
concern of the conference, as we seek to displace the idea of the
contemporary as (just) a ‘present’ without limits.

For the full conference programme click here
<http://sarai.net/what-time-is-it-14-16-december-2017/>.

For any queries, write to us at: contemporaryconference2017 at gmail.com

*The Sarai Programme*
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
sarai.net | facebook.com/sarai.net