[Reader-list] Video Vortex XI schedule: 23-26 Feb, Kochi - Revised Schedule & venue

Rashmi Sawhney rashmi.sawhney at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 23:40:36 CST 2017

Sharing the revised Video Vortex XI schedule. The conference & some of the
screenings will now be held at the Cabral Yard, Fort Kochi; the workshops,
video exhibition & performances take place at the Mill Hall.

*Video Vortex XI*

*Video in Flux: Art, Activism & Archives*

23-26 February 2017

Cabral Yard, Fort Kochi & Mill Hall, Mattancherry

As part of the *Srishti Outpost*:

a collateral of the Kochi-Muzeris biennial

*Schedule*

*Thursday, 23 February 2017 @ Cabral Yard, Fort Kochi*

*Registration: 9.00-10.00 am*

*Introduction to Video Vortex XI: 10.00-10.30*

Geetha Narayanan (Founder-Director, Srishti Institute of Art, Design &
Technology); Geert Lovink (Founder, Institute of Network Cultures,
Amsterdam), Rashmi Sawhney (Programme Director, Video Vortex XI)

*Panel I: Software and the Politics of Collaboration – 10.30-11.30*

Chair: Sharath Chandra Ram

*Software and its Structuring of Interactive Documentary: *Fabiola Hanna
(Ph.D. Candidate in Film & Digital Media, University of California, Santa
Cruz)

*Co-creating with my viewing public: *Anandana Kapur (Ph.D. Candidate, AJKMCRC,
Jamia Millia Islamia)

*Panel II: Samosa Breaks and Item Numbers – 11.30-12.30*

Chair: Madhuja Mukherjee

*Tactical VR: Representing the Intermission in Indian Cinema: *Karl
Mendonca (Ph.D. Candidate in Film and Digital Media, University of
California, Santa Cruz)

*YouTube Sleaze: Viral Mutations of Item Numbers: *Silpa Mukherjee (Ph.D.
Candidate in Cinema Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru University, New Delhi)

*Intervention I: 1**2.30 – 1.30*

*Underbelly of a City: The toing and froing between amateur and art-house
films*

Madhuja Mukherjee (Associate Professor, Film Studies, Jadhavpur University,
Calcutta)

Moderated by Ahmet Gurata

*Plenary I: 2.30-4.00*

*The video and the crowd: publics and post-publics. *Ravi Sundaram
(Professor, Centre for the Study of Developing Societies, New Delhi)

Chair: Geert Lovink

*Video Screenings I: 4.00-6.00 (details to be announced soon)*

*Evening Programmes at The Mill Hall, 23rd February*

*Artist’s Talk & Curated Screening: II – 5.00-6.00*

*Violent Opaque* By Ray Tat (independent artist and curator, Shanghai)

Moderated by Andreas Treske

6.30 pm: *What you Don't see is what you Get (WYDSIWYG) *Artist’s talk by
Sharath Chandra Ram (Transmission Artist & Faculty at Srishti)

&

7.00 pm onwards: *Gyrated**: hula audiovisual interface *by Elena Knox
(Media & Performance artist and Research Fellow in Intermedia Art and
Science at Waseda University, Tokyo)

*Friday, 24th February, 2017 @ Cabral Yard, Fort Kochi*

*Plenary II: 10.00-11.30*

*From Selfie to Mask Design, On the Politics and Aesthetics of the Online
Self*

Geert Lovink (Founder, Institute of Network Cultures)

Chair: Ahmet Gurata

*Panel III: Digital technologies and New Communities: 11.30-12.30*

Chair: Anandana Kapur

*The DIY Filmmaker in the Digital Age*

Akriti Rastogi (Ph.D. Candidate in Cinema Studies, Jawaharlal Nehru
University, New Delhi)

*Mapping Cultural Histories of Asian Ethnic Enclaves in the Global City*

Kristy Kang (Assistant Professor at the School of Art, Design and Media,
Nanyang Technological University, Singapore)

*Artists’ Talks II:* *12.30-1.30*

Moderated by Rashmi Sawhney

*Deteriorating Memories: Scavenging for Home Movies in an East Bangalore
Neighbourhood *by Ayisha Abraham (Artist & Dean, Centre for Contemporary
Arts Practice, Srishti)

*What Does the Digital Image See?: Noise Reductions, Ontological Deductions
etc.*

by Rahee Punyashloka (Visual Artist & Filmmaker)

*Artist’s Talk III: * *2.30-3.30*

*House of Women** (2016, 14”) and an artist’s talk *

By Michelle Williams Gamaker (Visual artist & filmmaker, and Lecturer at
Goldsmiths College, London)

*Panel IV:* *Video Theory: 4.00 – 5.30*

Chair: Andreas Treske

*The Autobiography of Video. A Technocentric Approach to Early Video Art.*

Ina Blom (Professor, University of Oslo)

*<VideoTheoryII> Shiny things so bright*

Andreas Treske (Professor, University of Bilkent, Ankara)

*Saturday, 25th February @ Cabral Yard, Fort Kochi*

*Film Screening: 10.00-11.15 pm*

Harun Farocki’s* (War at a Distance, 2003) *Introduced by Vasanthi Mariadass

*Curated Screenings III: 11.30-12.30 *

*A Selection of Videos from Central Asia (Kyrgyzstan, Uzbekistan,
Tajikistan) *

Curated and introduced by Stefan Rusu

*Curated Screenings IV: 12.45-4.00*

A programme of films on various themes related to Video Vortex XI’s focus
on technology, art, activism & archives

Curated by the Video Vortex XI team

Details of the screening programme will be published on the Video vortex
website by 15th Feb.

*Curated Screening V: 4.00-5.00*

CologneOFF* Asia Focus *from the* New Museum of Networked Art*

Curated by Wilfried Agricola de Cologne

*Curated Screenings VI: 5.00-6.00*

*Refugee Film Collection *from the* New Museum of Networked Art*

Curated by Wilfried Agricola de Cologne

*Saturday, 25th Feb @ Mill Hall*

*Workshop* with Geert Lovink*:* *2.00 – 5.00*

*Beyond the State of Internet Criticism: Lessons to be learnt for
Contemporary Art Criticism*

Limited to 20 participants. To register for the workshop write to
Rashmi.sawhney at srishti.ac.in by 15 Feb.

*Artist’s Talk III & Titchner’s Cage VR installation: 5.30-6.30*

*Poly-Body Visions*

By Nadav Assar (Assistant Professor and an Associate Director of the Center
for Arts & Technology, Connecticut College, USA)

*Sunday, 26th  February @ Mill Hall*

*Closing Performance @ 6.00 pm at the Mill Hall*

*Networked Performances and Ubiquitious Webjaying*

By Anne Roquigny and her team of webjays

The performance will emerge from the workshop Anne will conduct from 23-26
Feb from 3.00-7.00 pm daily at the Mill Hall. This workshop is limited to 6
participants. To register for the workshop send your bio and statement of
interest to Rashmi.sawhney at srishti.ac.in before 15 February.

For more information on the VV XI & the workshops download the Video Vortex
XI programme at videovortex11.net

*Acknowledgements:* Video Vortex XI has been organized by the Srishti
Institute of Art, Design & Technology, Bangalore, with the support of: The
University of Bilkent, Ankara; The Institute of Network Cultures,
Amsterdam; The Max Muller Bhavan, Bangalore; and Goldsmiths College (London)