[Reader-list] Ektara magazine - Nov 2017 issue: Ghulam Shaggan, Tagore, Gandhi at BHU, 1984

Yousuf ysaeed7 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 1 00:22:25 CDT 2017

Ektara magazine, November 2017

Greetings from the Ektara team. We are glad to bring you a new issue of Ektara magazine on the shared history, arts and culture of India and South Asia. Our aim is to highlight positive stories of our heritage that can help build a more inclusive society. We also support independent documentary films and short videos by highlighting them here. The magazine can be visited at http://ektara.org/magazine

We hope our stories and interviews will entertain and inspire you, and arouse your appetite for more about our rich and diverse pasts. Please subscribe to our youtube channel at http://goo.gl/Camze8

In this new issue, we bring you the following short videos and segments:

1. Ghulam Hasan Shaggan: a conversation with the ustad
Late Ghulam Hasan Shaggan who died in 2015 belonged to the Gwalior-Kapurthala gharana of Hindustani classical music. This short interview was recorded in his Lahore home in 2005, and is part of the Khayal Darpan archive on South Asian music traditions.
https://youtu.be/rNurlU0GoL0

2. Rabindranath Tagore: online resources
The proponent of Bengal renaissance, Rabindranath Tagore was a polymath who has contributed profusely towards Bengali literature, music and Indian Modernist art. We bring you some useful links about the life and works of Tagore, compiled by Neha Sankhla.
http://ektara.org/magazine/tagor-link.html

3. When Gandhi came to Banaras Hindu University
Higher education in India is going through a crisis as many universities curb students' freedom besides allowing various kinds of social discrimination on them. Dhananjay Tripathy, a Ph.D. student from Banaras Hindu University provides a historical background by mentioning Mahatama Gandhi's 1916 visit and speech at the foundation day of BHU. This is an excerpt from 'Campus Rising', a documentary film about students struggle against curbing of their freedom in Indian universities.
Video: https://youtu.be/RLZZw9FkYS8
More details about the film: http://goo.gl/x4TuJy

4. Featured video: '1984 A Sikh Story' - a BBC Documentary
As India complete 33 years of the 1984 anti-Sikh riots (after the assassination of India's ex-PM Indira Gandhi), we feature here a BBC documentary on the tragic events of November 1984. The film also provides a background to the faith of the Sikhs.
https://youtu.be/BTol8j0piQQ

Please see the list of previous issues of Ektara here. http://ektara.org/magazine/list.html

This online magazine runs on voluntary efforts, and we need your support in various ways, including contributions of good quality content.

Thanks for spreading our message afar.

Ektara team

----

http://ektara.org/magazine/