[Reader-list] Dance and Language January 29 - January 30, New Delhi

rohitrellan at aol.in rohitrellan at aol.in
Thu Jan 4 01:39:21 CST 2018

Hi,

The Center for Gesture, Sign, and Language (CGSL) at the University of Chicago investigates the implications of embodiment in language. One of their current projects aims to stimulate conversation between language, psychology, and the arts by studying the discourse of Indian dance. The many traditions of Indian dance have in common the lexicalization of gesture; that is, the use of specific gestures to transmit specific bits of information, rather like a word in a language (some types of Indian dance reportedly even add grammatical endings to the dance gestures).

This workshop will present interim research findings and engage Indian colleagues whose work bears on our major research questions: How is meaning produced by the body? What are the interfaces among physical being, language, and culture that generate meaning? Do gesture and dance emulate the grammars of spoken or signed languages?

This event is by invitation only. To register Log on to http://bit.ly/2uk1skA

 -  Rohit
Regards,
Rohit Rellan
http://www.linkedin.com/in/rohitrellan

Follow me on TWITTER: twitter.com/rohitrellan
Be my friend on FACEBOOK:http://www.facebook.com/rohit.rellan
Skype :rohitrellan

WeWork: WeWork office spaces supports businesses through a network of 150,000+ members who work with each other across the world. WeWork is more than just an office space – we provide amenities, services, and technology that evolve space into experience.

Private offices and Co-working Space in #Gurugram, #Mumbai & #Bangalore

Book a tour at WeWork ! http://bit.ly/2vnqkYB