[Reader-list] censorship

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Fri Apr 13 13:07:49 IST 2001

well, perhaps i was being trigger happy in saying that this could
happen in India in such a way. But i still think that because of the
complete lack of transparency of the indian state, many things are
enforced without the public necessarily getting to know about them
(and the other matter of the fact that there is very little
discussion even when they do..) But we are aware of censorship by the
state to what it thinks is 'anti-national' and how this is considered
acceptable by so many, even otherwise conflicting, factions. Perhaps
the muzzling of voices will not happen in such a transparent way at
all but through neverending red tapism, and police rights (such as
they were trying to pass in the IT bill) and it would happen case by
case, and therefore insidiously..

I might still be overreacting arun. What do you think?

>At 4/6/2001, Monica Narula wrote:
>>...One can imagine it happening in this part of the world fairly easily..
>>
>>Monica
>>
>>Yesterday a liberticide law has been approved by the Italian Parliament.
>>
>>  The law clearly state that the publishers of periodical news on the
>>  web who are not 'professional' journalists (or write on behalf of
>>  them) could be fined for up to 250 dollars and arrested for up to two
>>  years, and accused of the 'clandestine press' crime.
>
>I don't think this could easily happen in India. IT is sort of
>becoming a holy cow, and such a ban would be quickly branded
>"anti-IT", don't you think? It would immediately be considered an
>attempt to muzzle future Tehelkas. And also note, this came in Italy
>not from the government, but under pressure from the media barons.
>In India, this lobby isn't that powerful, it seems to me.

Monica Narula
Sarai:The New Media Initiative
29 Rajpur Road, Delhi 110 054
www.sarai.net