[Reader-list] Space, Cyberspace, and Cspace

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Apr 28 14:36:45 IST 2001

Dear Folks on the Reader List

This is an attempt to think about the relations between space and
cyberspace. And a request for help in attempting to find an adequate word,
term or expression that can articulate what I am trying to talk
about.Please intervene.

In a book called Memory Trade: The Prehistory of Cyberspace by Darren
Tofts, (a book I have not read, but only read about) the author coins a
term called "cspace",  pronounced space , (just as psyche is pronounced
syche) as a median term between space and cyberspace. Now this was
criticised at the time that this book came out as a vague and indeterminate
excercise in term coinage that meant nothing quite specific.You were either
in space or in cyberspace. What on earth did it mean to be somewhere in
between?

But, my recent days of mooching around in New York, Chicago and
London  have convinced me that we need again to look at the relation
between space and cyberspace in a  more concrete way. methinks that there
is something that straddles the fjord between space and cyberspace.
Sometimes this connecting medium, which for want of another term I will
call 'cspace'  is thick and sometimes it is thin. It could perhaps be
measured like humidity is measured. As the relative density of grounded or
suspended online possibilities in a given unit of physical space.

Let me try and explain what I mean. I would spend long hours each day
looking for cybercafes that were reliable and affordable in New York,
Chicago and London. With little success. While In New York and Chicago, the
Public Libraries, (bastions of the public domain, shelters against the cold
wind and the elements, as well as hospitable refuges for reading) did offer
some repsite - (notwithstanding the long queues to use the computer
terminals by the indigent and the public spiritied) they were not the rough
and ready portals into cyberspace that I am more used to. One waited, and
one waited and one waited. ((In London, the spanking new British Library
building has decided not to offer its public any form of internet access
for fear that the readership would wisely disregard the stipulations of the
intellectual property rights regime. A true sign of our times - A Public
Library, built out of taxpayers money,  running scared of the unmediated
public access to knowledge)

Outside the public library system in New York, there were a few shady dives
in Greenwich village and around the spots where backpackers backpack. Here,
typically the connection would be erratic, and the lights dim. Or else,
there was the cash guzzling monster of the Kinko's outlets (with padlocked
photocopiers and computer terminals that had a CD drive, a floppy drive and
a credit card drive). Kinkos terminals regularly digested my meagre dollars
and cents at amazing speed. They had a big appetite for my money. Here I
could surf for 3 US Dollars (120 Rupees) for seven minutes or so. They
called this cheap.

In London, there was the gigantic collection of rabbit warrens called
"Easyeverything" which too guzzled my cash. At 2 Pounds (140 rupees) for
twenty minutes, this experience, and the abruptness with which the computer
said to me "Your Time is Up. Pay to Continue !" was scary.

Coming back to Delhi, I was reassured to find that as usual,  the
Cybercafes were five minutes walk away in either direction at most places
in the city. And that I could surf at the comfortable rate of 10 Rupees for
every half an hour.(I coud surf twice, sometimes thrice as much by paying
twelvetimes less than I could in New York or London, and it wouldn't take
me long to find my fix).

The air in Delhi is thick with smog and with connectivity.There are power
cuts, but then there are improvised solutions like computers hooked on to
car batteries. I know there is a digital divide. I know the figures of per
capita computer usage and access in India and how dismal they are. I know
how bad the lines and what a waste of time VSNL is. But still, Delhi as an
online cspace, is friendlier than cities that have more computers to the
square mile. (How I wish that Offline Delhi were even half as friendly, or
considerate as Online Delhi is).

The public nature of computing culture in Delhi (which is predicated on
ease, affordability, sociability and conviviality) suggests that the
quality and possibility of being online can be very different in different
places. In some ways I felt the pinch of the  'digital divide' much more
sharply in the cspace of New York and London, than I do in Delhi.

On the other hand, it is now possible to get messages on your mobile phone,
if you are, say in the middle of Times Square in New York, telling you what
you could buy in the radius of a fifty metres. Of course you could also go
online. This suggests that in New York, if you have your own private
handheld device, you can be thickly enmeshed in cspace. If you dont, cspace
is a thin membrane that tears around you. Welcome to the First World
Digital Divide. if you need a quick leak or need to look at your e mail,
you'd better not be in a public space. Stay at home, or in your office, or
carry your WAP and your WC with you

Now, isn't that strange.What is one to do when the urge hits. When you have
got to go, you have got to go. Online or Offline. And what do you do when
you have no 'cspace' to step into'. Where do you get off? I know what to do
in Delhi. I have found my cspace. But I am still lost in New York, Chicago
and London.

Now, how about some other accounts of Cspace Travel?

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
SARAI: The New Media Initiative
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29, Rajpur Road, Delhi 110 052, India
www.sarai.net