[Reader-list] Space, Cyberspace, and Cspace

Raju Mathur raju at linux-delhi.org
Sat Apr 28 15:52:00 IST 2001

Interesting write-up, Shuddha.

I'm finding it more and more difficult to move between ``have'' and
``have-not'' modes in cspace or whatever you choose to call it.  For
people like me (Uber-geeks?) the idea of not being able to access
e-mail, the 'net, information, my address book, etc from wherever I am
is getting increasingly repugnant.

No, I don't mean that I suffer withdrawal symptoms when away from my
computer -- it's only when one needs some information which one knows
is a click or two away and is unable to get it that irritation sets
in.

One could say that Information has become a sort of Sixth Sense to
many human beings.  The sense organs are artificial, expensive, kludgy
and slow, but they're improving and our dependence on them is growing
each day.  That they're becoming increasingly more important can be
judged by the fact that I (personally) routinely make decisions and
judgements about people based purely upon information that I have
gathered using this Sixth Sense.  People decide to work with an
organisation or not, to pay someone or not, to sleep with someone or
not, even to marry another person or not based upon what this Sixth
Sense has told them.

As our dependence on Information grows, we will see many issues like
censorship, cracking and false information in a new light.  Censorship
would be equivalent to blinding and cracking to reorganisation of
nerve connections, for example.  And the new Super (Wo)Men will be the
ones whose sense organs work the best: i.e. those who have the
best-integrated, fastest and smoothest connections to each other and
the Repository.

Question for you: How does Free Software translate into this model?

The sense organs themselves?  The Palm Pilots, the Nokia Communicators
and the Simputers of this world are striving to become, as one
incredibly tasteless ad puts it, ``an extension of you''.  I don't see
much besides better miniaturisation happening in making access to
information faster for us Mere Mortals.  Anyone aware of new
developments in this field?

Regards,

-- Raju

P.S. Check out http://www.agendacomputing.com/ for a handheld running