[Reader-list] .Net / Hailstorm Initiative

pankaj at sarai.net pankaj at sarai.net
Thu Jul 5 10:21:24 IST 2001

On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 10:21:46PM +0200, Menso Heus wrote:
>On Wed, Jul 04, 2001 at 10:04:36AM -0700, Neeraj Sharma wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> recently, one of those business channels was talking
[snip]
>The point that I'm not really getting is: why would I
>access the net through their servers? I can log in to
>their system, sure, but it's not like it's functioning
>as a gateway.

The same reason why you won't compile the kernel.
People are lazy, people don't want to see what is
happening underneath the system they use and I say
why should they? just as u say why should i learn
to compile the kernel just to listen to music.
Jack says "why do i care which server am i going
through to talk to bob?". when Microsoft Office Xp
provides a "default" way to share files with bob
why would jack try to find some alternative Free Open
blah blah way to do the same.

No one reads the lie-sense before pressing that "I Agree"
button.

And just before u know it Microsoft owns what u wrote/shared
with ur friend.

>I don't know, it's kind of scary not being able to install software
>unless it's registered. Then again, the security is client side, in
>other words: useless!
Its broken what-ever they do the client can and will be broken.
Nothing they can do about it.

just think about this
If they start "renting" the server on which exists the one and only one
copy of XP which ppl connect to and use. cracking might be a different thing.
And I can see this also comming.
--
	X windows: If it starts working, we'll fix it.  Pronto.
 Pankaj Kaushal <pankaj at fig.org>