[Reader-list] .Net / Hailstorm Initiative

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Thu Jul 5 17:47:14 IST 2001

In a the debate between the `technically proficient` a chorus line
from a `lay lazy user`.

The word `lay user` seems to mean - a lazy loser or an arrogant victim.

To make some sense let me take a detour to the world of medicine.

Many medical practitioners take it for granted that when treating
'lay pains', just treat them and tell them nothing about what the
hell is going on - no explained diagnosis, and no explanations about
the medicines that are being prescribed, or the 'risky' side of its
usage.

The pharmaceutical companies know that `knowledge is power`, which is
why we tend to know so little - almost nothing - about the `process
of creativity` inside the laboratories. We only know that it is
something very important called `process` OR `product`, and patents
needs to be upheld as an important motivations and incentives for
`innovation` and `generalised public good`.

Well this `lay lazy user` cannot afford too many sickness or
fatalities so s/he experientially evaluates (with the help of complex
oral `slashdots`) and decides to take different routes. Which is why
today such a large number go to `traditional` modes of healing and
curing to survive.

But, the legal apparatus does not recognize this. It values the so
called `modern medicine` (basically allopathic) and the rest are all
suspect (sometimes framed as evil quacks) and thus susceptible to
legal prosecution.

Why do I write this? Primarily to pose a few questions.
- What would it mean to practice medicine `ethically`?
- Can the profession justify `opaque` and `closed` practice by taking
recourse to an argument that mobilizes the intellectual level of the
`user`in an uncritical manner?
- Can't we imagine an informed protocol of usage that undermines the
separation between experts and users?
- Should not the counter-expert at all times critically evaluate all
tall and big claims of `benefits` and point to the socially risky
side of these claims?
- And finally, what does the `expert` want from the lay user?

cheers
Jeebesh