[Reader-list] .Net / Hailstorm Initiative

pankaj at sarai.net pankaj at sarai.net
Thu Jul 5 15:29:04 IST 2001

On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 09:35:53AM +0200, Menso Heus wrote:
>On Thu, Jul 05, 2001 at 10:21:25AM +0530, pankaj at sarai.net wrote:
[more snipping ;)]
> People are lazy, people don't want to see what is
>> happening underneath the system they use and I say
>> why should they?
>
>It's not as much a question of being lazy but more what you
>expect of your Desktop operating system: do you want it to be
>some experimental OS and play around with it for a long time
>before you can get it to do usefull things or do you want to
>spend that time doing actual *work* on it.

It seems Your Experience with Linux and BSD has not been
as good as it should have been or I am an eternal optimist.

Look, If you had givin me this "kernel compilin'" and
"hard to install" points a year or couple back I would have
agreed But given the kind of installation systems like Red hat
Corel porgeny-debian. I think this argument is lame.
any body  who can install M$ windows 2000 can also install
linux.

So the point comes down to support.
Lets take a example of a very famous video card in *delhi*
" SIS6326 "
wether you intall a box with this card on windows or linux or bsd
u end up with no GUI or 640X480 in 16colors .
Now in windows you have a driver which installs the optimum
configurations for that card which has to be manually installed.

In linux you have to edit some options in the /etc/X11/XF86Config
Isn't that bad for an *experimental OS* that kids play with Is it?

>If you're telling me you think MS has the capacity to function
>as a gateway for 90% of the Internet users I'm going to laugh
>very loud though.

I am telling you that MS wants to control the technology that is used
Like MSN messenger instead of AOL messenger or yahoo messenger
They don't care about who gives the service. as long as they make their
format/technology the DEFAULT.

They dominate the desktop market and if they give out *free* client s/w
to the desktop market which uses there technology for eg a .asf player
the people who want to deliver the content have to buy that technology.

>Some people do and the Internet has the funny thing to it that, when
>one person does and finds something ridiculous, the rest of the Net
>will know in a week (e.g. it gets posted on Slashdot)

I don't know about that I still find a 100 million hotmail users
even after the MS Passport thing!

>> And just before u know it Microsoft owns what u wrote/shared
>> with ur friend.
>Well, I could suspect they might want a situation like this but I don't
>expect them to be stupid enough to actually implement this.

U know about "MS Passport" don't you.

>Still don't see why I would want to connect to their server.

I am not talking about MS becoming a gatekeeper to the net MS can't
and if they want to it will be very stupid and if any one says he can
he is stupid.

I am talking about being a gatekeeper to the governing technology .
Everybody knows about XML being the next big thing! I don't know
anything about it and I don't care.

Microsoft is inserting XML into everything --> there confiugration file ie
the /windows directory files when you produce a html with word 2000 it
produces XML and Obiviously it is Incompatible with every other XML parser
but M$ Internet Explorer.

When Microsoft creates or should I say steels a technology they absolutly
make sure that It dosen't work with anything else but M$ .
Thats what .Net is about.

--
... Where was Stac Electronics when Microsoft invented Doublespace? Where
were Xerox and Apple when Microsoft invented the GUI?  Where was Apple's