[Reader-list] .Net / Hailstorm Initiative

Jaswinder Singh Kohli jskohli at fig.org
Thu Jul 5 22:11:40 IST 2001

Neeraj Sharma wrote:

> Hi,
>
> recently, one of those business channels was talking
> about MS Office Xp. One of the things that were
> constantly underlined was that in a bid to prevent
> piracy, from Xp onwards, users would have to register
> (online) before they can start using the s/w. "One
> registration, One user. End of piracy", claimed one MS
> employee, adding "...Big step forward...".
>
> End of piracy, all right, but they also announced with
> pride that in future, upgrades (and patches) will be
> available online only, the rationale being integration
> of a variety of services like instant messaging,
> mails, money central, search etc, by logging in just
> once.

> Well, to me, this **logging in just once** is the
> catch! I suppose that this logging in would require
> the user to go through 'passport' authentication
> server, meaning whatever you do, you are moving
> through a particular company's servers. No apparent
> problems on that either, but what would stop the
> company from charging on a monthly rental model, when
> a substantial user base is achieved, when the right
> dependence is created? Imagine paying for every search
> you made!

It will be like this
that register your software at net
they send you the key
use that and open your software and start working.
While registering on net what happens i dont know
but for sure the softwarre sends your complete hardware and other
software details
to MS. which gets stored there and may be the key is generated from
that.
And that key is VERY VERY HARDWARE SPECIFIC.
Upgrade or change your Hardware you are DEAD. No more you can use the
software
U will loose your Rs. 20,000+ software.
Now how to re-activate it simple call  a Microsoft representative
yes CALL then he will most probably verify if you are a legal owner that

supply you a key. and then you can use it again.

Same thing happens if your HDD somehow crashed or windows crashed
you got to re-install Office or Win XP again CALL nothing else you could
do.

> Nothing against MS, but surely a lot against
> dominance/monopoly. MS isn't in a position to really
> expand its desktop market. (they already captured
> majority of it). So how do they make $$? Simple, start
> dominating the net. The net, which has been known for
> its open-ness and 'free' nature, might just be the
> entry point for 'yet another struggle for dominance'.
> And this is fairly visible in the ongoing MSN vs AOL
> battle. Hotmail already has some 100 M users. Addition
> to this base through MSN and .Net / Hailstorm
> initiative might just prove be the telling blow, God
> forbid.

This is foreseen every thing which today is available as software, which
you can
buy will be leased to you for a specific time period as a service.
and since i am not against MIcrosoft(They are just doin business and
competition and
market capturing is part of it. and every one tries to do that. So he
one who blames Microsoft for
that, Think again.)
so i can say that microsoft was the one of the company to see and think
of future before it
came. .(dot) NET is part of that strategy and what their aim is to start
manufacturing early so
when the season comes the goods are ready to SELL or in right terms
LEASE.

and don't blame MS for their struggle for dominance for that.
take an example Now if you are sitting in a market selling.
item X and around you there are 10 more shops selling the same thing
Now wouldn't you do the same thing
either improve the quality or the quantity and give things for free.
would you like that in front of your wyes anyone should walk into other
shop
and buy X from that, for me its big NO and you will hire a person
shouting
we give this thing , that thing , free and your s is very good even if
it is bad
Go to NAi Sarak and you will see same situation.
Every one is doing that take Sun, Yahoo, etc....., but all we see is
microsoft
'cause MS is doing it in a big way.

> Can we, the alternate OS users / non proprietary
> people, make sure that monopoly practices don't kill
> the fun out of the www, can it be made sure that the
> net, does not end up being just .Net?

Now here are'nt you trying to kill MS doing the same thing that
MS is doing to other companies.
See how every one is trying to do the Business.

BOTTOM LINE
ANd regarding the Piracy issue that can never be achieved.
There are Hell lot of Reverse-Engeneers  sitting in front of the PC and
working. If you want OFfice Xp or what ever. Go out on NET and search
u'll get a crack or whatever required.
There is no kind of protection that cannot be defeated.
Every program you name it, has been reversed. all the protections
defaeated.
Second time don't blame MS if you cant use there software.

The only kind of protection that i remember cannot be defeated is of a
kind of online
multiplayer gamning site.
When yuou first register on the site you acc. is made oin the site and
when ever you go to net
to play the games the you log in to your acc. but if acc. is over so you
can t log in and
can't play any games.
So you see the kind of protection MS is offering is just a subset of the
old protection which was availiable in a game long long
time ago

Now a word about security.
may be next time,
Too much for now
im late
BYe

> Neeraj

AND FINALLY...
"Sweet sorrow", "serious fun", "an exact estimate" and "a genuine
imitation" are all phrases which combine opposite or contradictory terms
or ideas. But perhaps no two people have done more for the oxymoron than
Pascale Ausillous and David Quere, the French physicists who have
created water that isn't wet...
http://www.newscientist.com/newsletter/news.jsp?id=ns229644

**

Regards
Jaswinder Singh Kohli
jskohli at fig.org
The Uni(multi)verse is a figment of its own imagination.
In truth time is but an illusion of 3D frequency grid programs.