[Reader-list] Knowledge/Power/Tradition/Medicine/Coding

Shuddhabrata Sengupta shuddha at sarai.net
Sat Jul 7 13:08:46 IST 2001

Some thoughts arising from the debate around the .NEt/Hailstorm initiative

There are two ways of looking at any practice of knowing the world.

1. All the necessary knowledge about the world, about the body, about
anything that needs to be known, already exists, all that is required is
falultless transmission from one custodian of knowledge to the next. What
we need are 'authorised and legitimate versions'

2. The practice of knowing the world is mutable and conscious of its own
incompleteness.

Under Attitude 1, Anything, in order to be accepted as true, needs to rely
on the authority of precedence.
This, the 'authority of precedence' - the valuation of something on the
grounds that it has existed prior to the knower and the known, is another
way of talking about 'tradition'. When a product or process  asserts its
presence on the strenght of its trademark, its logo, its reputation, even
on the basis of its loyal adherents - we could say that it is relying on
its being 'traditional' for a greater acceptance of its validity.

Under Attitude 2, Anything in order to be accepted as true, needs to have
its truth claim tested against observation, experience, or against
experimentation under controlled conditions. Attitude 2, does not need to
have any commitment to any given statement 'that such and such a thing is
true'. All it needs to be committed to is the manner of producing and
verifying any statements that are provisionally called true. Not to the
statement itself.

Why am I saying this? Because sometimes, both the votaries of Microsoft and
the enthusiasts of 'Free Software' seem to me to succumb to the seductions
of basing their arguments on the ground of Attitde 1.

It seems to me that the freezing of code under a propreitary regime, fits
closely with what I have described as Attitude 1. Once a 'release' version
of a code, is marketed, no modification on it may be performed, nor any
doubts about its efficacy entertained, except by those who 'legally' own
the code.

Paradoxically, the counter-cultural practitioners who say, " value what we
do, becase 'we' as opposed to 'they', do it' , rely also on the emotional
investment of adherents in a given way of doing some thing.Their truth
claims need to be tested constantly by practice. I am not saying that this
not indeed the case, in the free softwae milieu. The presence of user
gorups and responsive communities as opposed to corporations of coders, is
signal to this fact. But there is a tendency, nevertheless, to build an
element in the worth of free software, not on the basis of its demonstrable
efficacy, but on the identity that accrues from being part of the free
software community. Microsoft when it wants to play on this terrain, tries
to build what it calls 'brand loyalty'. This means, roughly something like
this - "I will stick to using MS or Linux, not because it works, but
because the decision to use one or the other has become a part of my
definition of who I am". WHile there may be ahost of personal, affective
and even ethical reasons for such a decision, they are no more than that.
They are not arguments that priviledge usage, practicality or operational
extensibility, or even, the openness of a code. They may have started off
as that, but somewhere along the line, loyalty and tradition, things it is
difficult to have a reasonable arugument about,seem to have taken over

Of course, propreitory software, cannot welcome Attitude 2, because it
would not make any sense for it to entertain its own obsoloscence.

Tangentially, what Jeebesh has rightly criticised in 'modern' allopathic
medicine, (its closed explanatory framework, the separation and
hierarchization of 'user experience' and 'expert knowledge') may actually
be a result of what I might risk calling the 'traditionalization' of modern
medicine. By this, I mean the freezing of the mutable, experimental,
provisional truths of the sciences of medicine under an institutional
umbrella that demands fidelity, not doubt ,from its practitioners and
clientele.

This is precisely what marks the diagnostic and practice methods of much
of  'traditional medicine'. A particular treatment method or potion or
potion-ritual combination is resorted to not because there is necessarily
any demonstrable, causal link between the ministration of the treatment and
the alleviations of symptoms, but because it has the sanction of authority,
scripture, or ritual. If the treatment works, it works because the 'truth'
it was a part of was actualising itself, through the healer, into the
patient, if the treatment did not work, it was because the patient was not
deserving of the treatment. In either case, the code, or the knowledge
itslef does not need to be held into question.

Much of the everyday practice of modern medicine, also follows this
'time-honoured' principle, in its encounters with illness.

When pharmaceutical companies, or software giants, spend more, or as much,
on public relations and on protecting their patents as  they do on
research, it means that they need and are working with the 'medicine-men'
and 'witch-doctors' of our times. Perhaps there is an  increasing tendency
in contemporary culture, of  taking recourse to the authority of
precedence, as an answer to constant and everyday crises of meaning.

In such circumstances there might be an added necessity to speak very
carefully, and very precisely, whenever we speak, and especially when we
deploy the charged categories of contemporariness, or tradition, or free or
unfree.

All I ask for is a little caution.

Shuddhabrata Sengupta
SARAI: The New Media Initiative
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
29, Rajpur Road, Delhi 110 052, India
www.sarai.net