[Reader-list] Just one kiss...

Menso Heus menso at r4k.net
Sun Jul 8 06:24:29 IST 2001

Hi all,

Listening to the latest Basment Jaxx' album (called 'Rooty') I found
myself really liking a song called 'Just one kiss'

Now, the lyrics aren't that complicated and exist basically out of
three lines:

Just one kiss will make it better.
Just one kiss and we'll be all right.
Just one kiss and we'll be flying high.

The tune is quite catchy (as we are used from Jaxx') and really is
one of these things that stick around in your head.

Right, not very interesting so far, yet the song popped a question:
is the kiss what we believe it to be or do we believe it to be what
it is because the media tells us it is?

In other words, if the media (movies, books, etc) had decided that
the most romantic thing a guy and girl could do was shake hands
instead of a movie, and thus every movie resulting in an ending
handshake instead of that great kiss, would it's position be what the
kiss is now? Could those two have been swapped or is it 'in our genes'
to feel the need to kiss someone?

On the one hand, I would say yes, but that might be because I like
doing it, on the other hand, it is not necessary for reproduction of
the human species, thus one could argue that the kiss has been
romanticized by the media.

Thus, since I am not able to figure this one out I decided to pass it
on to you, perhaps some of you moviemakers can provide me with an
interesting insight.

Thus, the question remains:

Is the specialness of a kiss defined by the images we are fed or not?

Menso