[Reader-list] Open source rival for MP3

Menso Heus menso at r4k.net
Tue Jun 26 15:19:04 IST 2001

Hi all,

There are a couple of different things with this article:

First, and probably most important, is that this must be the zillionth
group of people that is going to create a standard to replace MP3. A
couple of years ago there was suddenly VQF and more of that which was
all going to make an end to MP3 and create an open standard of 'free'
service.

The netizens came, observerd, tested and decided: we want MP3, not something
else. Why? Because MP3 was already widely spread and well-known and most of
the other options just plainly sucked.

And it makes sense, as end-user you get to download free players such as
Winamp for example and you can download music for free. Why should the end
user care about licensing fees for people who want to built encoding software,
it's not like MP3's are very rare or anything and as long as they're available
it's not a problem to the end-user, so he can't be bothered.

Another problem is: why should I switch again? Why should I leave alone my
realplayer (actually, that's obvious, but for the sake of the argument) or
Quicktime or Windows Media Player for Yet Another Media Player? Why should
I suddenly stop encoding my CD's into MP3 and switch to this new standard?
Only because it's open? I hate to burst Ogg Vorbis' bubble but 99% of the
people out there couldn't care less about open standards or cross platform
compatibility, they just want things to work and unless my current player
can't give me what a new one can I'm not going to change.

Since they're all going to give it away for free they'd better make sure
they either made something that totally kicks ass or they're doomed. If
it's slightly better than Real or WMP than they still have the marketing
problem. Two years ago MS might have been willing to incorporate the player
with their browser, now they made their own player so they're not going to
do it. Real has expensive licensing which means they also have money with
which they can advertise and all that and for now, sadly enough, it seems
Real is sort of the standard. (No, I don't mean sad because the licenses
are expensive, I mean sad because it sucks imho).

Anyway, I don't think we'll hear a lot of these guys but let's wish them
luck.

Menso

Note: I could be terribly wrong, I hope I am.