[Reader-list] Open source rival for MP3

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Wed Jun 27 12:30:12 IST 2001

In response: simple useful fact to know is that MacAmp (default
config) also plays OggVorbis files besides the MP3 files. i know
because i downloaded and checked. The sound quality seemed actually
good on the inadequate Mac speaker (but tell me of one person who
listens to MP3s - historically called "cruddy" by Courteney Love
because of Not-god sound quality - on any better speaker! (WinAmp
doesnt do so but perhaps its is possible to tweak??)

More importantly is to find out more about alternative to Real (for
both the reasons that you point out). One fact/rumour being bandied
about is that soon one should be able to stream OggVorbis on IceCast.
This can only be a good thing... (to make rumour fact, check
www.icecast.org)

Monica

--
Monica Narula