[Reader-list] Rogue States - Content Call...

s|a|m sam at media.com.au
Sat May 26 07:39:36 IST 2001

Hello :-)

We seem to be getting bombarded every week with more and more calls for participaton, calls for contributions, calls for entries... and here is another one (which you may already know about):

Rogue States is the 'reader' being produced for our Media Circus event here in Melbourne.

We want to make Rogue States another origin point for activism to explore the need to bridge differences and boundaries especially within disciplines and thought-lines, but also amongst those of us involved with processes of 'resistance'. We are looking for positive stories, inspiring stories, stories which describe a different future from the one those who are opposed to the 'rogue states' seem to be creating for us.  Also, it is hoped that these exchanges and involvements will help further with developing new networked collectives and reactivating old networks...

Anyhow - I should stop now, but before I do, I want to stress that we are really interested in developing closer connections with peoples and groups in our region - which includes you at Sarai. We'll come up with a name to describe our selves - but this is a hard one... Anyhow - look forward to receiving contributions from you. The Rogue States call follows below:

Thanks, Sam.

--

ROGUE STATES READER

We are producing a Reader for the Media Circus. The event happens in Melbourne from the 13th to 15th July, 2001, and will be comprised of screenings, workshops, forums and exchanges.

Call for content:

This is a call for printable content to be considered for inclusion in the Reader which will aim to present a snapshot of the state of the international media circus and provide views and ideas on how we can identify and tackle the sensorial bombardment, establish mental defence shields and develop our own media to challenge the established and propagate new stories in our community.
Here are a list of words and phrases which will provide further guidance as to the nature of content we are calling for: transnational protests and the alt.media and alt.art machines; counter-culture-corporations and their tricks; public relations, think-tanks, robot-artists, automatic journalists and traitor academics; getting nasty - surveillance and censorship; misrepresentations, deceptions and lies; new and converged media, hackers, viruses; political arts, hip-hop, graffiti, and comedy.

We are especially keen to give space to stories from the invisible - from new people and people who are outside the outside - from the colonies, the remote regions and the developing and 3rd worlds.

So we ask you to go berserk. We do not have much time. Maybe you know of content in the public-domain compatible with being re-published in Reader or maybe you want to write something fresh. Don't forget images.

Our deadline for content is 15 June 2001.

Here's how you get involved:

If you have content which you want to be considered for inclusion or have any queries relating to content - please email .
All messages sent to this address will be sent to the editorial collective.

Once printed, the Rogue States will be distributed internationally to key media activist groups and cultural organisations. The publication will be in English however its content will call in to 'copyleft' and we would welcome repurposing and translations as long as the moral rights of the author and the publication is respected.

About Us

There is a small collective of volunteers who are organising MediaCircus and the publication of the Reader. We are genuinely interested in fostering a strong progressive and critical media culture and come from various places but are currently based in Melbourne. Our past and current involvements cover a broad range of media and cultural practice and activism, including melbourne.indymedia, S11 protests, National Young Writers Festival, exploring the sociology of activism, organising screenings and events, and facilitating email lists. We are students, academics, media makers, writers and people wanting to create a more sustainable future. Some of us do stuff with SKA TV, Voiceworks, Radio 3CR, Friends of the Earth and The Paper. Some of our names are Nik Beuret, Marni Cordell, Sam de Silva, Aizura Hankin, Alex Kelly, Rachel Maher, Lachlan Simpson  and Karen Eliot.

from small things more small things grow...
www.thepaper.org.au