[Reader-list] [patrice at xs4all.nl: [multitudes_l] Fwd: Show of Solidarity with Muslim women on Oct 8th.]

Patrice Riemens patrice at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 4 18:00:04 IST 2001

----- Forwarded message from Patrice Riemens <patrice at xs4all.nl> -----
----- Forwarded message from Liz Turner <liz at ephidrina.org> -----

Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2001 14:05:09 +0200
From: Liz Turner <liz at ephidrina.org>
To: hippies <discussion at hippiesfromhell.org>
Subject: Fwd: Show of Solidarity on October 8th

I've recieved a couple of messages like this, proposing Monday as
Headscarf Day. I'm not sure if it's going to change anyone's mind, but
I'm always up for a fashion statement, and this looks like a good one!

I know Karin's already appeared in print in the hijab, and very
dignified she looked too. Anyone else up for this?

liz

Please share this with everyone you
know...organizations (you can get email addresses
online), teachers/educational faculty, press, peace
groups, religious groups, celebrities, people
everywhere, people anywhere, anyone you can think of!

Visit www.interfaithpeace.org for more information:

  Please wear a scarf on the 8th!

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful
committed citizens can change the world.  Indeed, it's
the only thing that ever has."  Margaret Mead

It's simple to do.  Women, regardless of their faith,
across the United States will wear a scarf or hat
covering their hair on October 8, 2001.  Like
friends who shave their heads in solidarity with
cancer patients, women everywhere will wear the hijab.
  To protect Muslim women who have been
afraid to leave their houses because of ignorant
hatred, we will dress piously.  The hijab (scarf) is
worn outwardly to show the inner hijab of
compassion, honesty and love, which is carried in the
hearts and souls of  Islamic men
and women alike.  Make flyers, call your politicians,
or simply cover your hair for a day.  It's simple.
Show the world we are truly ONE NATION!

Questions, contact:  jennifer at
interfaithpeace at yahoo.com or debmarst at aol.com
Participants are asked to keep a journal of their day,
thoughts, feelings, experiences, and send it to
interfaithpeace at yahoo.com

The purpose of the Scarves for Solidarity Campaign is
simply to show our support of our Muslim sisters, and
to foster discussion with the people you come into
contact with during your everyday lives, who obviously
know that you are not Muslim....it is not meant to be
a political symbol in any way, just a symbol of love.

----- End forwarded message -----