[Reader-list] Jameson on Sept 11

Ranjani Mazumdar rmazumdar at mantraonline.com
Thu Oct 4 19:46:05 IST 2001

Fredric Jameson
North Carolina

I have been reluctant to comment on the recent 'events' because the event
in question, as history, is incomplete and one can even say that it has not
yet fully happened.

Obviously there are immediate comments one can make, in particular on the
nauseating media reception, whose cheap pathos seemed unconsciously
dictated by a White House intent on smothering the situation in sentiment
in order to demonstrate the undemonstrable: namely, that 'Americans are
united as never before since Pearl Harbor.' I suppose this means that they
are united by the fear of saying anything that contradicts this completely
spurious media consensus.

Historical events, however, are not punctual, but extend in a before and
after of time which only gradually reveal themselves. It has, to be sure,
been pointed out that the Americans created bin Laden during the Cold War
(and in particular during the Soviet war in Afghanistan), and that this is
therefore a textbook example of dialectical reversal. But the seeds of the
event are buried deeper than that. They are to be found in the wholesale
massacres of the Left systematically encouraged and directed by the
Americans in an even earlier period. The physical extermination of the
Iraqi and the Indonesian Communist Parties, although now historically
repressed and forgotten, were crimes as abominable as any contemporary
genocide. It is, however, only now that the results are working their way
out into actuality, for the resultant absence of any Left alternative means
that popular revolt and resistance in the Third World have nowhere to go
but into religious and 'fundamentalist' forms.

As for the future, no one (presumably including our own Government) has any
idea what the promised and threatened 'war on terrorism' might look like.
But until we know that, we can have no satisfactory picture of the 'events'
we imagine to have taken place on a single day in September. Despite this
uncertainty, however, it is permitted to feel that the future holds nothing
good for either side.