[Reader-list] Fwd: Afterimage call for papers

William Mazzarella mazzarel at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 29 20:41:52 IST 2001

On the Foucault quotation re: dialectic. This is one of the central
misunderstandings of much poststructuralist theory, a misunderstanding that
has its roots in the particular reception of Hegel in interwar and postwar
France.

It equates 'dialectic' with the onwards-and-upwards movement of Hegelian
thought, and in so doing it misses the whole fruitful tradition of
post-Marxist German critical theory, in which the dialectic is NOT
necessarily teleological, in which it is, to use Adorno's term, 'negative.'
That means that its terms mutually transform each other but do not resolve
into a higher synthesis. It is a dialectic of perpetual critique, perpetual
inversion, and perpetual undoing.

Having understood that the dialectic is not necessarily totalizing, this
line of thought unfurls its critique from within, rather than, in the
poststructuralist mode, perpetually positing hegemonic and totalizing
structures that must be countered with indeterminacy and rupture. The
result of this misunderstanding is a double fetishization: on the one hand,
of an overtotalized master narrative that must be deconstructed and, on the
other, of the radical potential of otherness.

Having said that - on the semiology quotation: Right on!

WM