[Reader-list] CNN footage of Palestinians celebrating is actually fake

Menso Heus menso at r4k.net
Mon Sep 17 06:17:56 IST 2001

On Sat, Sep 15, 2001 at 08:16:57PM +0200, philip pocock wrote:
> Harsh Kapoor wrote:
>
> > COUNTERPUNCH.ORG reports that the CNN footage of Palestinians celebrating is
> > actually fake.  ... Please distribute this news widely
>
> > Check out counterpunch's front page:
> > <http://www.counterpunch.org>http://www.counterpunch.org
>
> i did check out this page and you ought to be ashamed for recommending such
> hogwash!
>
> here is a couple of paragraphs from that page you recemmend as 'news' i am
> adding CAPITAL LETTERS to parts for emphasis:
>
> If Holywood rules necessitate
>       a short, sharp war against the new enemy, the AMERICAN CAESAR
>       would be best-advised not to insist on Pakistani legions. The
>       consequences could be dire: a brutal and vicious civil war creating
>       more bitterness and encouraging more acts of individual terrorism.
>       Islamabad will do everything to prevent a military expedition
>       to Afghanistan. For one thing there are Pakistani soldiers, pilots
>       and officers present in Kabul, Bagram and other bases. What will
>       be their orders this time and will they obey them? Much more
>       likely is that OSSAMA BIN LADEN WILL BE SACRIFICED
>       (incorrect spelling by the article author) in the interests
>       of the greater cause and his body dead or alive will be handed
>       over to his former employers in Washington. But will that be
>       enough?
> The only real solution is a
>       political one. IT REQUIRES REMOVING THE CAUSES THAT CREATE
>       THE DISCONTENT. It is despair that feeds fanaticism and it is a result
>       of Washington's policies in the Middle East and elsewhere.
>
> DISCONTENT!!! DISCONTENT!!! MASS MURDER OF 5000 SIMPLE PEOPLE FROM ALL WALKS OF
>
> LIFE IS DISCONTENT!!!
>
> PLEASE DESIST FROM LITTERING THE LIST WITH SUCH YELLOW JOURNALISM.
>
> it is an embarrasment to the members to recommend such hate, which is simply
> and transparently utter rhetorical garbage propaganda.
>
> it undermines open and honest criticism and dialogue concerning real human
> issues and a complete waste of
> at least my time.

Philip,

This might come as a shock to you yet not all people on this world
share the same opinions, which is a good thing. This does not, however
mean that we must call each other names and start screaming and yelling
at each other like little children: I like to think we are all adults here.

Furthermore, I consider it quite rude of you to speak for 'the members' when
you do not know and not attempt to discover how they feel about this.

Also, the post seems to be forwarded, not originally written by the
person who posted it to the list and even if he would have done so, this
does not mean that the opinions on this website are necessarily his
own or that he/she agrees with them.

Your post seems more misplaced than Kapoor's if you ask me.

Menso