[Reader-list] To Sir(S) with Thoughts

Jyotirmoy Chaudhuri jchaudhuri at mantraonline.com
Thu Apr 11 20:26:17 IST 2002

Dear Readers,
It has been fun reading my two teachers growl and gnaw and smack. Pratap
taught me when I did my B.A. in the Jamia Millia Islamia. Tarun taught me
when I was doing my M.A. in Delhi University. Both are teachers of English
both working in Delhi, in these two universities. Both have been immensely
kind to me over the years and tried to help me in my tortured attempts at
turning 'intellectual'.

Pratap, who has a penchant for the ribald seems to have overstepped when he
quotes Jyotsna Kapur who has never been on the list. However, I hardly think
that he has been attempting to be smutty or semi-pornographic. At least,
some of the stuff we read with the two Professors in college were much
worse. Anyway, I do not see why we should get too obsessed about
pornography. Is there some personal rancour between the two gentlemen? If
you have, do not wash your dirty linen in public. Sort it out, as Neel/
Slumbug  says through a dogfight, cockfight, or the gladiator arena,
whatever!

We need to engage with the issues raised and I agree with Neel here when he
says that none seem to have raised some of the issues that Pratap has tried
to talk about. One of the issues with which I have empathy is the question
of English:

"Take some classes in India. Why don't you come back to
India and teach children some English? They need it,
to get good jobs."

A look at the British Council and (countless other ELT vendors) all over the
city is all that you need to realise the necessity of the language for jobs.
The British Council has actually relegated its books to a corner and
replaced it all with neon and machines to vend knowledge and the language. A
supreme gift to our city.

All you need to to do is to take the phone and call countless reception
desks at the city.

All you need to do is to walk into Barista, Nirula's, Ansals Plaza, a media
house, the office of your ISP provider, call centre's,  resource centres,
knowledge centres like the British Council, why almost all over.

You will hear the same twang. When you close your eyes, all you hear is
hundreds of James and Sarah's talking to you. And you also sense the
desperation when at times the veneer cracks, when there is a breakdown of
this artificial speech.

I am not belittling these people. These people hold jobs, all need jobs.

As I said, I studied in two universities, in two 'Department(s) of English'.
When I moved to the University of Delhi, I realised the sheer differences
and the presumtous arrogance of many University students. It mainly came
from being able to articulate the language better. Mind you, there was also
always a group of students in class at DU who were in the same boat. They
were not so good with English and would sit away from the majority of the
class. How do you understand your professor who is expounding at length on
the myriad intricacies of philosophy, culture and theory when the bhasa
itself eludes you?  Nevertheless, when you pass out of college, you have an
M.A. in English [Literature].

Both Professors have taught General English class (classes held for students
who are weak in the language, but attended by all). I have attended the
like. I would like the Professors to tell the list readers what they and
their students do there.

I too 'am totally in agreement with Monica who has pointed out that free
speech brings with itself its own set of responsibilites' and also with many
of the issues that Suddha has raised (I hope to be able to respond in
separate postings).

However, I also take notice of Neel's worry about 'closing off'. I would
probably reframe it. Maybe, Sarai space is also getting a little
bureaucratised. Or, maybe, they have been forced to start making rules. It
does happen. I remember there was some problem between the Rhizome and
Spectre people?

A few committed individuals attempt at opening out space for others and one
hopes it grows into a movement, and Sarai has. However, it has its pitfalls.
There's always a chance of overstuffing. The blue swing door that takes you
into the wonder-world of the Sarai media lab has a yellow stick-on label
which mentions that one should not just barge in, or something to that
effect. There was a time when anybody could just swing in. But, then what
does one do if all the hangers-on takes over workspace. Work suffers, and
one has to draw the line. So, where does one draw the line?

Why no 'flames'?

Lastly, Tarun, I respect the fact that your latest posting will be your last
on the current debate. However, I, and I believe, other members of this
community hope that you will keep posting otherwise and remain with us. And,
honestly, I think that we should all attempt to get away, from what I term
as a 'seige mentality'. There are more important things at hand than 'us'.

Regards,
Jyoti

Jyotirmoy Chaudhuri
K 2125 C R Park