[Reader-list] To Sir(S) with Thoughts

Jeebesh Bagchi jeebesh at sarai.net
Sat Apr 13 14:32:35 IST 2002

On Thursday 11 April 2002 08:26, Jyotirmoy Chaudhuri wrote:
> We need to engage with the issues raised and I agree with Neel here when he
> says that none seem to have raised some of the issues that Pratap has tried
> to talk about. One of the issues with which I have empathy is the question
> of English:

A few days back i stumbled into a chance conversation with two young boys
(class 12th) from what they call "Dilli Chhe". The conversation drifted
towards english and the ability to speak the language. Understanding was not
such a problem because " we seem to understand the english Discovery
channel". - Then what is the problem?

"The main problem is we cannot talk with fellow Indians in English,
foreigners are something else", Why
"Well you see Indians evaluate (tolte hain) you when you speak to them in
English, that makes us completely speechless. you feel you are lower (neecha)
type (ka log) people. You are looked differently if you speak English
differently...."
but how it is different with foreigners?
" well they speak the language to communicate or to ask or to talk, they are
very happy that you can understand them, so we speak very freely with them.
No hesitation, it all comes..."

Truly, After a friend of mine from Switzerland joined in, they started
talking freely with him in English. No problem!

I am left wondering, what does this say about `looking through English`
culture. Any comments, pp, jyoti, Neel.?

best
Jeebesh