[Reader-list] To Sir(S) with Thoughts

Joy Chatterjee joy at sarai.net
Sat Apr 13 18:20:10 IST 2002

I had my college education in very ordinary and unpopular art college.
There students used to come mostly from lower middle class families. They
are first generation migrate from villages. Few of them actually could not
speak anything better than harianwi. When for the first time we went to see
an exhibition in Triveni Kala Sangam, they were hasitating to enter the
gallery. Gallery didn't have any costly ticket, in fact it is a open
gallery. They were scared by the cultural ambiance of the space.

The problem doesn't lie in the language. But culture which is associated
with English language in our country is largely elitist and some time
arrogant. McDonalds in not costly, but definitely elitist! West looks like
the possession of certain class.

Best
Joy