[Reader-list] Sahar Ke Nishan: Politics & Poetics of Visual Representations

pratap pandey pnanpin at yahoo.co.in
Sat Apr 13 12:45:56 IST 2002

With respect to your wish to "capture the complexities
of different kinds which are products as well as
producers of relationship between agencies of
‘globalization’ and ‘traditional culture’", you could
look into T-shirt messages and jean-tags.

T-shirts and jeans perhaps exemplify the "mobile" city
culture you talk about in your posting. What is even
more interesting, they are always "worn" -- they turn
the body itself into a site for a message (this body
may deliberately or despite itself become such a
site).
Via T-shirts and jeans, one could even think of the
body-as-space, and the agency of the city in
turning/enforcing the body into a site for visual
consumption/representation.

T-shirts have a heirarchy of their own. Where you buy
your T-shirts is also an indication of who buys what
kind of T-shirt. For instance, "Tommy Hilfiger" is
found in Janpath, too. In Karol Bagh, and also in Khan
Market and South-Ex. But so is "Tomy Hillfigger".

jean-tags (the brand-name of a jean, usually placed on
or above the back-pocket) are completely fascinating.
There are the "standard" brand-names, but there are
also countless "non-standard" non-brand names, like
"Tuff". Of course, you might have to peer at a few
backsides, but that only makes fieldwork more
interesting!

 --- jha sadan <jhasadan at hotmail.com> wrote: > Dear
Friends,

> We are doing a  project on the visual
> representational spaces of Delhi.
> This is a brief note and an excerpt from our field
> notes. Your comments and
> suggestions will be of great help for us to see the
> field in better and more
> disturbing ways.
>
> Sahar Ke Nishan: Politics and Poetics of Visual
> Representations (Delhi)
>
> Thematic Areas covered
>
> Although, at this stage of our research, it is bit
> difficult to classify and
> categorise pictorial spaces which we have covered
> yet a brief list of them
> is important:
>
> Advertisements in the forms of hoardings of shops
> and other similar market
> forces. Here, we have tried to capture the
> complexities of different kinds
> which are products as well as producers of
> relationship between agencies of
> ‘globalization’ and ‘traditional culture’. However,
> it needs to keep in mind
> that both these words/concepts are used here very
> loosely. These
> advertisements lead us to those processes in and
> through which local
> symbolic spaces work hand in hand with standard
> symbolic spaces.
>
> Multiple use of certain spaces: During the field
> work we have come across
> many once upon a time government hoardings,
> hoardings of road signs and
> walls which are used as locations to put posters and
> for writing different
> messages. The very use of these spaces as standard
> place as recognised
> places are interesting. If you remember, one of our
> meetings, you had
> suggested abut few such spaces( notice boards,
> information boards of art
> galleries etc.)
>
> Posters and Hoardings depicting Pahalwans and their
> culture. These are again
> abundant and offer interesting semiotic readings.
> The location of these
> hoardings quite interestingly pose several questions
> on the socio-cultural
> dynamics of a city. From the perspective of
> semiotics, for example, many of
> these pahalwan posters present Hanumanji as the
> fatherly ideal figure but
> Hanumanji is devoid of all his insignias and
> symbols. His gada has been
> taken over by pahalwans and Hanumanji is shown only
> as showing the figures
> of Ram and Sita. There may be various ways of
> entering into this semiotic
> field but this is not a place to go into the details
> of it.
>
> Advertisements of local sex doctors, hakims, faith
> heelers, astrologers etc.
> An extremely rich field and a very problematic one.
> One of the most
> troublesome aspect of this field is its vastness and
> its fluid character in
> terms of their cultural belongingness. This is the
> category where, the
> [...]
=== message truncated ===