[Reader-list] Let's talk Partition

pratap pandey pnanpin at yahoo.co.in
Sat Apr 13 13:11:33 IST 2002

Dear Professor,

Every slanging match has words of wisdom in it. You
said:

"On the subject of the Partition, and the poem-- well,
a discussion might have been possible which could have
enriched this forum."

Light at the end of the tunnel!

Let's have a discussion on the subject of the
Partition. Since you have edited a book on the
subject, you could moderate the discussion, or even
begin it. Of course, research on this subject is a
matter of sophistication. It is complex subject.

Most importantly, it can and will throw light upon
Gujarat.

I wish to understand how Gujarat could have happened,
and is still happening (and 1992, and 1984...). I
believe (it is an unresearched belief) that it all
began with the subject of the Partition.

Although K K Dyson's book on the memoirs of British
men and women shows that they were completely
captivated by this "HIndu-Muslim" rioting (countless
anxieties about Muharram processions coinciding with
Holi celebration, as happened this year), let us use
the "partition question" as a convenient starting
point.

Michel Foucault was once asked to comment on the
Gulag. He said he didn't know if he could talk about
"the Gulag", but he certainly knew about "the Gulag
question". Similarly, some of us do not know "the
Partition". But we are interested in "the Partition
question" (what you call "the subject of the
Partition)

You said:

"It has taken years for the psychic numbness that
refugees experienced to give way to a new kind of
> communication between generations that the poem
> alludes to"

What causes a "numb" population to bring the BJP into
power, thus allowing them to contest the national
elections as a fully-fledged party? Isn't Delhi
considered a BJP stronghold (even after this year's
municipal election)? And Maharashtra a Sena
stronghold? How is it that the very spaces where "the
Partition" was experienced are those where a fascist
political formation can come into being, can
re-emerge?

It is perhaps crass to turn "the Partition" into an
occasion for comedy. But then, the Partition (like the
Holocaust) has not been rendered as tragedy, either.

What are the protective fantasies surrounding the
subject of the partition?

wanting to know more,
pp

--- tarunksaint <tarunksaint at sify.com> wrote: > List