[Reader-list] report from palestine

Ravi Sundaram ravis at sarai.net
Sat Apr 13 02:05:45 IST 2002

Refugees flee camp with reports of Israeli abuses
Suzanne Goldenberg in Jenin
Friday April 12, 2002
The Guardian

An exodus was under way yesterday from the refugee camp that endured the
bloodiest battle of Israel's military offensive, with Palestinians bearing
horrifying accounts of a systematic campaign of destruction and abuse.

Hundreds of Palestinians fled the camp yesterday, an empty, smoking ruin
resounding to bursts of Israeli machine gun fire. They left behind entire
neighbourhoods flattened to make way for Israeli armour.

Some of the wrecking missions were launched while women and children were
inside their homes. The operation began with rocketing from helicopter
gunships and bulldozers moved in to finish the job.

They also told of the use of human shields for Israeli army patrols, and the
random strafing of heavily populated civilian areas, killing elderly women
and young boys and girls.

Those fleeing were dirty, exhausted and desperately hungry. Doctors in Jenin
say 15 babies were sick after their mothers fed them powdered milk and sewage
run-off from streets where bodies were left to rot for days.

A few also claimed to have witnessed a summary execution and the dumping of
the dead - at least 150 Palestinians were killed in the camp by the Israeli
army count - into mass graves.

The stories of executions and disposal of the dead could not be verified as
the Israeli army has encircled the camp with tanks, and shot at, or arrested,
journalists approaching the area. The Guardian was among a handful of
newspapers whose reporters managed to enter the town yesterday.

But the accounts of the massive destruction of civilian homes, and of the
firing on civilians, could be confirmed as they also occurred in the town of
Jenin, suggesting a widespread and systematic pattern of human rights abuses
that is only now beginning to emerge.

Ali Mustafa Abu Siria, 43, an Arabic teacher, was carried to hospital on a
ladder - nursing a gunshot wound to the left knee that had gone untreated for
four days. Doctors said it was badly infected.

He was injured while serving as a human shield for an Israeli army patrol,
who led him out of his home handcuffed and at gunpoint on Friday. He was
forced to walk ahead of the troops - and the army sniffer dogs - as they
underwent the perilous business of house-to-house searches, hunting down
Palestinian militants and weapons caches.

Mr Abu Siria was shot at the 12th house. "As soon as I knocked on the door, a
bullet was fired at me, he said. He believes he was shot by a second Israeli
army patrol, which was on the first floor of a neighbouring house. "The two
groups of soldiers started screaming at each other," he said. "Then they left
me. I started dragging myself on the ground until I reached the house of a
neighbour. The army did not do anything for me."

A similar picture of a widespread disregard for civilian casualties by the
Israeli army is also emerging in Jenin city. Doctors at al-Razi hospital said
a man bled to death on its doorstep after soldiers prevented medics from
retrieving his body.

A burst of machine-gun fire from a helicopter gunship in a residential
neighbourhood of Jenin on Wednesday killed a young man, who was outside
charging up his mobile phone on a car battery, and injured Rina Zaid, 15, in
the chest.

All but one ambulance driver from Jenin's general hospital has been arrested
by the Israeli army, so her family ripped a door off its hinges and carried
her to hospital on foot.

At dusk last night, the refugee camp was hit by 10 explosions in the space of
an hour - a parting act of destruction as the Israeli army "mops up" what it
calls an infrastructure of terror operating from inside.

A new wave of refugees streamed out of the camp - including many children -
scavenging for food. A few hours earlier, Riyad Ghalib Damaj, 28, a produce
seller, also smuggled himself out with a group of women and children fleeing
the camp, taking advantage of a brief lifting of the curfew in Jenin.

"There are no houses left in the refugee camp; there is only a highway. There
are countless numbers of houses destroyed. If you saw them you would go
crazy," he said.

"So many rockets were fired on our house from helicopters because three
soldiers were killed nearby, and there are only two families left in the
neighbourhood."

--
Sarai Media Programme
Centre for the Study of Developing Societies