[Reader-list] biotech and cement

Monica Narula monica at sarai.net
Sat Apr 13 18:28:14 IST 2002

Hi

There are few pleasures in being list administrator - mostly its a
lot of "clerical" work. But sometimes, there are wonderful moments.
Today I discarded submissions to the list which were by a firm that
was trying to make a sales pitch. That happens often (not to forget
the great nigerian scam, which continues to spam). However, what was
intriguing was the top section of the email. In selling their cement
anti-aging processes, they used biotech as the metaphor. It is
interesting to reflect upon the gradual 'naturalization' of that
which till recently seemed technologically impossible, and which is
still - for many - open to challenge. Anway, here's the excerpt:

Dear Sirs,

Please spare some of your valuable time to read this letter. We can
assure you, your life will not be the same again.

We are living in an era of Genetic Engineering. Within a decade, if a
man dies at the age of 100, it will be considered as a pre-mature
death. We have the tools in our hands to reverse the aging process.
We in BBR Microdite Waterproofing Co.have the tools & technology of
Micro Civil Engineering in our hands to  reverse the aging of
Concrete & Cement Structures .  We simply do not make tall & false
claims. We prove our claims by teaching you to  Prove it Yourself.

<snip>

best
Monica
--