[Reader-list] Water as a weapon of war

rustam rustam at cseindia.org
Mon Jan 7 16:50:54 IST 2002

being forwarded FYI:

"Not one child deserves to die because of a dispute - real that it
may be
-
between Washington and Baghdad, or the International Coalition
led by the US  against 10, 000 al Qaeda operatives backed by a
despotic regime.

Someone needs to show leadership, and sadly it is not coming
from the current administration or the American public who
unquestioningly follow.
No, Mr. President, you have given us a false choice.  I am neither
for terrorism nor for your war.  Rather, I am merely trying to give a
child a clean glass of water.  And if the child drinks the water and
lives, then maybe, just maybe, she will remember us fondly."

This is an article written by Edward D. Breslin, an employee of
WaterAid working in Lichinga, Moçambique. These are Edward's
personal views rather than him acting on behalf of WaterAid
in anyway. If anyone would like to contact Edward about this article
his email address is wateraid-mz at teledata.mz

Water as a Weapon of War

Water - so basic and so necessary for life.  We all know this of
course, but many in the West understandably take their water
supply for granted.
Water
is readily available, cheap in the USA at least, in abundant supply,
and
always flows when we turn on our taps.

Water is not taken for granted in most parts of the world however.
It is
generally accepted that over 1 billion people do not have access to
clean
water in the world, and the health, economic and developmental
consequences
of this reality are dire.  Women and children spend hours collecting
dirty
water each day and lose valuable time, energy and calories (which
are in
short supply anyway) in the process.  A family can not prosper if it
spends
hours each day fetching water, and the bite is twice as painful
because
that
water is so often contaminated that the family has to spend what
little it
has looking for a cure.  All that effort for something that inevitably
undermines your health - it is cruel.

Diarrhoea, typhoid, cholera and other water-related diseases haunt
poor
communities throughout the world but are the price families pay for
glass
of water.

The World Health Organisation (WHO) argues that over 2 million
people die
each year from diarrhoeal disease linked to inadequate water
supply.  Most
are children, most under 5 years old.And they suffer before they
die.  A
child suffering from acute diarrhoea is
listless, can not produce saliva, can barely speak, can not sit up,
and
can
barely swallow.  The body shrivels, as the last remnants of moisture
within
are sucked dry by a parched body.  Cholera is worse of course, as
is
typhoid.  The child's death is gruesome to behold - all for a glass of
water.

Few hear their cries, even if the child could muster a tear.  These
deaths
are sadly silent deaths, far from the cameras and the news,
because it
picks
off children one at a time.  Perhaps today a child will die down the
road
from where I sit in Moçambique.  Tomorrow the death will occur
across
town.
The following day there may be a respite - no deaths today, but
tomorrow...

Hardly gripping but no less tragic than the famine camp footage that
periodically galvanises the world.

Development workers focused on water supply struggle and are
often
frustrated.  Despite all our efforts, the number of people without
water
continues to climb - despite claims from some in the sector to the
contrary.

There are many debates as to why this is happening, and the
reasons are
complex.  But the truth is that many water projects fail throughout
the
world every day.  Projects fail because of inappropriate
technologies,
poor
operation and maintenance systems, or a lack of finances on the
part of
governments and communities to keep their systems operational.
Projects
fail to improve health because many countries do not have the
finances to
purchase chlorine and other chemicals necessary to treat water -
to make
it
safe to drink.  Too often, these basics are out of reach.

And the sector races against time as each day without clean water
will
mean
more death, more anguish, more suffering - all for a drink of water.

But water rarely stops flowing out of malice or hate or punishment.
No,even
the cruellest dictators in the world would not use water as a
weapon of
war.
  The consequences are too much, the suffering too profound.
Even the
coldest dictators, who have shown scant regard for the welfare of
people
under their control, would not go that far.  Surely water is off limits.
Surely...

Many Americans worry about water as a weapon of war,
particularly since
September 11th.  Americans are right to worry.  Terrorists could
conceivably
contaminate US water supplies.  The impact would be cataclysmic
-
Americans
fighting against Americans over the last supplies of bottled water at
the
convenience store.  That baby I describe dying of diarrhoea could
be a
child
down the street from us in Maryland, or Wisconsin, or California.
Tomorrow
it could be my child....

Sadly, water is being used as a weapon of war, and America is the
culprit.And the international water sector needs to think clearly
about
how
we respond to this affront.

America needs to look at itself as well.  It needs to ask hard
questions.It
needs to look into the eyes of hate and stare it down, and sadly
those
eyes
are our own.  And it needs to ask hard questions of the
administrations of
Presidents Bush I, Clinton and Bush II. But where is the evidence?
Well,
it
has been known for some time that the
US has enforced sanctions on Iraq that include equipment and
chemicals
necessary for water supply.  These include spares necessary to
maintain
water systems, and chemicals needed to treat contaminated
water.  These
sanctions have been in place since the end of the Gulf War.

Many have criticised the inclusion on these items of sanctions
lists, but
the US has consistently and strenuously defended tight sanctions
on water
treatment chemicals and equipment on the grounds that Iraq could
divert
these items to the military.  Weapons of mass destruction could
be made
with
this equipment and these chemicals, so they must be banned.

Yet Thomas J. Nagy of George Washington University has
unearthed documents
from the US Defence Intelligence Agency (DIA), an Agency within
the US
Department of Defence, that most clearly show the US' concerns
about the
diversion of water treatment equipment and chemicals is
disingenuous.
The
documents conclusively prove that the US has knowingly
understood the
human
consequences of denying vital water treatment chemicals to Iraq as
part of
UN Sanctions.  They suggest that the US has denied these critical
water
treatment chemicals with the knowledge and intent of reeking
havoc on
Iraq's
water supply system (The Progressive, September 2001).

Nagy's research brings the whole strategy behind the sanctions
debate to
light, and it is evil.The DIA documents are frighteningly cold but
meticulously researched and argued documents.  DIA produced a
report in
January 1991 that was circulated widely within the Bush Sr.
Administration
that highlighted Iraq's water treatment vulnerabilities.  The report
argues
that, "failing to secure supplies will result in a shortage of pure
drinking
water for much of the(Iraqi) population".  The report predicted that
Iraq's
water treatment capacity would take six months to "fully degrade"
(June
1991) after which widespread disease, "if not epidemics" would
ensue.

Most importantly, DIA argues the following: "unless water treatment
supplies
are exempted from the UN sanctions for humanitarian reasons, no
adequate
solution exists for Iraq's water purification dilemma, since no
suitable
alternatives, including looting supplies from Kuwait, sufficiently
meets
Iraqi needs.

Subsequent DIA reports document what is known about civilian
casualties
through the inclusion of water purifying chemicals and equipment
on the
Iraqi population.  They show that Iraq's water supplies are running
at 5
percent capacity. The administrations of Presidents Bush Sr.,
Clinton and
George W. Bush have all vigorously enforced the inclusion of water
treatment
chemicals (like chlorine), water extraction technologies and basic
water
supply equipment on UN sanctions lists, often over the objections
of other
Security Council members wishes.  UNICEF, the World Health
Organisation
and
other concerned development institutions and human rights groups
have all
questioned the US stance, correctly arguing that the humanitarian
consequences of the inclusion of these goods on UN sanctions
lists has no
military or securitylogic.

As reported on CNN on November 29 2001,	"One of the biggest
problems with
sanctions now is that a huge range of equipment needed for water,
sanitation
and the oil industry, is routinely blocked at the sanctions
committee by
the
U.S. and Britain because of fears that they could be used for
military
purposes.  These are items as basic as water pumps...
International
humanitarian workers say the biggest problem in
Iraq right now is not a lack of food or even medicine -- it is a lack of
clean water, and that is because the infrastructure is not being
repaired.

And it can't be fully repaired without major imports of equipment.
UNICEF
says the biggest single reason that children are still dying at an
abnormally high rate here appears to be that many communities do
not have
access to clean water."

The result of UN sanctions against Iraq has not, as hoped, been the
toppling
of Saddam Hussein but rather the death of 5,000 children every
month.
That
is 60,000 children a year.  That is 500,000 children - dead children -
since
the Gulf War ended.

When asked on national television in 1996, former Secretary of
State
Madeleine Albright stated that the large numbers of dying children
in Iraq
created "a very hard choice" for the United States but "we think the
price
is worth it."

And so sanctions continue, and vital water purifying equipment is
denied
Iraq because they have a leader who is viewed as a threat to the world by
handful of the most powerful nations in the world.  And the casualties in
this stand-off are children.  And the US knows.  And the US will not be
swayed.  And the US does not care who dies in the process as long as this
one man is dethroned.

The US drones on about Iraqi culpability, and claims that all would be
resolved if Hussein simply let inspectors into Iraq.  Yet the US continues
to be the biggest purchaser of Iraqi oil in the world, and does not have
the
courage to ask hard questions about our appetite for oil in light of child
deaths.

So we help the Iraqi regime by purchasing oil, but we do not have the
compassion, vision or leadership to have this fight with Saddam Hussein in
way that spares children.

If only children were as valuable to Americans as the liquid that fuels
our
SUVs. Surely it's the wrong target, and surely I am allowed to ask these
questions even in an environment where "criticism" is shamelessly linked
the evil of al Qaeda.  Surely we can look into the eyes of children and
see
their innocence.  Hopefully, we can look into our children's eyes and see
other children, maybe even an Iraqi child.  And surely what we will see
will
transcend meaningless debates about an individual dictator, or a strategy
oust him. Children, who have no choice over what happens in the world of
geo-politics, are the casualties here - all for a glass of water.  Sadly,
we
are culpable, particularly given the fact that the US argues that Saddam
Hussein does not care about his people.  Wouldn't it be an amazing
revelation to the world if we actually showed Iraqi children that we in
fact
did care for them, that we in fact could see beyond the politics to the
people, to the children?

And it raises a sharp image for me - when we think of chemical
laboratories
where schemes are hatched to construct weapons of mass destruction, we
think
of mad scientists who have lost their grip on reality.  We think of
government psychopaths urging them on with a glint in their eye.  And we
imagine their names are Middle Eastern and largely unpronounceable.The
faces
I am now confronted with are from within the US Government, within the US
Defence Intelligence Agency of the US Department of Defence, within
Presidential Administrations, with names like George, Dan, George Jr.,
Dick,Al and Bill.  They are not the faces of some "other" but of us.

The tragedy of September 11th is so clear to us, so real, and so
powerful.Not one person deserved to die in New York, Washington or on a
plane thatcrashed in Pennsylvania.  Likewise, not one Afghani deserves to
die, or one child who had the misfortune to be borne into a county that
the
United States does not like.  America will never be great until it
argues
and defends the rights of all innocent people in the world,
especially in
times of war.  We have not done this, despite token efforts with
food aid
from the sky.

The real proof of our weakness is in our callous response to
suffering
elsewhere, and our utter lack of compassion.  Collateral damage is
thrown
around as if they were car parts.  Sadly, they are children.  Not one
child
deserves to die because of a dispute - real that it may be - between
Washington and Baghdad, or the International Coalition led by the
US
against
10, 000 al Qaeda operatives backed by a despotic regime.

Someone needs to show leadership, and sadly it is not coming
from the
current administration or the American public who unquestioningly
follow.No,
Mr. President, you have given us a false choice.  I am neither for
terrorism
nor for your war.  Rather, I am merely trying to give a child a clean
glass
of water.  And if the child drinks the water and lives, then maybe,
just
maybe, she will remember us fondly.

Edward D. Breslin
Lichinga, Moçambique

* NOTE CHANGE IN OUR EMAIL ADDRESS: PLEASE NOTE IT AS FOLLOWS  *
         CENTRE FOR SCIENCE AND ENVIRONMENT  ( CSE )
 41, TUGHLAKABAD INSTITUTIONAL AREA, NEW DELHI- 110 062
            TELE:        608 1110, 608 1124
                         608 3394, 608 6399
            FAX :        91-11-608 5879
            VISIT US AT: http://www.cseindia.org