[Reader-list] Gates

joy at www.sarai.net joy at www.sarai.net
Fri Jan 25 09:46:29 IST 2002

For the first time in my life I found that to be short in height is
definitely useful. For the last few years’ residential areas in Delhi started
installing gates at almost every corner of the streets. 10 feet high gates
with solid iron rods. Designs seem to be inspired from Hollywood war films.
Every gate splits open for the cars etc. but they are mostly closed except
for very few. It is almost a living puzzle game to find the exact gate which
is open to enter or exit. The gates which are closed they have a small
opening of 4ft. by 2ft. for the pedestrians. These gates are useful for
various kinds of people. One I have already mentioned. Second are those
people who suffer from identity crisis can stand in front of the gate and
boost their ego as almost every person bows in front of him/her. Tall Indians
can feel proud remembering the sequence when Amitabh Bachchan emerges out of
similar gate of the jail in his famous film Sholay. Doctors can be benefited
from this gate as it can cause casualties to absent minded and rushing
people. Though these gates are said to be made for security but number of
locks in individual household doesn’t show respect to this huge gate. And
finally these gates can be very interesting “idea” to write a book, make a
film or paint a series.

Joy