[Reader-list] Colonial Gatecrashing

Sopan Joshi sopan_joshi at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 16:49:07 IST 2002

This is in response to Joy's posting "Gates":

ours was the corner house. so when the good people of
our Delhi "colony" decided that security depended on a
tall, heavy iron gate--just the sort that Joy
mentions--it came up just outside our very own 'main
gate'. the gate was constructed by one of the
gentlemen residing in the colony who, i think, was in
the construction business. the stalwart who guarded
this gate was over 50, had a wrinkled face, and used
to walk with a limp. he could barely carry the weight
of his lathi.

one day the gate came down upon the chowkidar and
smashed his head. he died. the gentleman who had got
the gate constructed handled the matter with the kind
of concern and dexterity that one associates with
Delhi Police. he paid some compensation to the
chowkidar's wife and blamed the man who had welded the
gate. some concerned people in the colony also
contributed.

a few days later, we shifted to another colony. this
house is on the main road. so no gates have to be
negotiated. but the gate is three two houses away. and
the chowkidar here is a young man with the first
inklings of facial hair.

--- joy at www.sarai.net wrote: > For the first time in
my life I found that to be

<http://mail.sarai.net/pipermail/reader-list/>