[Reader-list] Strange alliances

Ravi Sundaram ravis at sarai.net
Thu Jul 25 23:57:39 IST 2002

This is the full article of Robert Fisk on the alliances between the
Christian right and the Israel's supporters in the US....there is a
reference to the far-right new york post (yazad jal,   has, as usual,
posted a grotesque apology for Israel's bombing of Gaza - from an article
from the Post!)

A strange kind of freedom

By Robert Fisk

Inside the First Congregational Church of Berkeley, the Californian
audience had been struck silent. Dennis Bernstein, the Jewish host of KPFA
Radio's Flashpoint current affairs programme, was reading some recent
e-mails that he had received from Israel's supporters in America. Each one
left the people in the church  Muslims, Jews, Christians  in a state of
shock. "You mother-fucking-asshole-self-hating Jewish piece of shit. Hitler
killed the wrong Jews. He should have killed your parents, so a piece of
Jewish shit like you would not have been born. God willing, Arab terrorists
will cut you to pieces Daniel Pearl-style, AMEN!!!"
Bernstein's sin was to have covered the story of Israel's invasion of Jenin
in April and to have interviewed journalists who investigated the killings
that took place there  including Phil Reeves and Justin Huggler of The
Independent  for his Flashpoint programme. Bernstein's grandfather was a
revered Orthodox Rabbi of international prominence but neither his family
history nor his origins spared him. "Read this and weep, you mother-fucker
self-hating Jew boy!!!" another e-mail told Bernstein. "God willing a
Palestinian will murder you, rape your wife and slash your kids' throats."
Yet another: "I hope that you, Barbara Lubin and all other Jewish Marxist
Communist traitors anti-American cop haters will die a violent and cruel
death just like the victims of suicide bombers in Israel." Lubin is also
Jewish, the executive director of the Middle East Children's Alliance, a
one-time committed Zionist but now one of Israel's fiercest critics. Her
e-mails are even worse.

Indeed, you have to come to America to realise just how brave this small
but vocal Jewish community is. Bernstein is the first to acknowledge that a
combination of Israeli lobbyists and conservative Christian fundamentalists
have in effect censored all free discussion of Israel and the Middle East
out of the public domain in the US. "Everyone else is terrified," Bernstein
says. "The only ones who begin to open their mouths are the Jews in this
country. You know, as a kid, I sent money to plant trees in Israel. But now
we are horrified by a government representing a country that we grew up
loving and cherishing. Israel's defenders have a special vengeance for Jews
who don't fall in line behind Sharon's scorched-earth policy because they
give the lie to the charge that Israel's critics are simply anti-Semite."

Adam Shapiro is among those who have paid a price for their beliefs. He is
a Jew engaged to an American-born Palestinian, a volunteer with the
International Solidarity Movement who was trapped in Yasser Arafat's
headquarters in the spring while administering medical aid. After telling
CNN that the Sharon government was acting like "terrorists" while receiving
$3bn a year in US military aid, Shapiro and his family were savaged in the
New York Post. The paper slandered Shapiro as the "Jewish Taliban" and
demeaned his family as "traitors". Israeli supporters publicised his
family's address and his parents were forced to flee their Brooklyn home
and seek police protection. Shapiro's father, a New York public high-school
teacher and a part-time Yeshiva (Jewish day school) teacher, was fired from
his job. His brother receives regular death threats.

Israel's supporters have no qualms about their alliance with the Christian
right. Indeed, the fundamentalists can campaign on their own in Israel's
favour, as I discovered for myself at Stanford recently when I was about to
give a lecture on the media and the Israeli-Palestinian conflict, part of a
series of talks arranged largely by Jewish Americans. A right-wing
Christian "Free Republic" outfit posted my name on its website, and
described me as a "PLO butt-kisser" and asked its supporters to "freep" my
lecture. A few demonstrators turned up outside the First United Methodist
Church in Sacramento where I was to speak, waving American and Israeli
flags. "Jew haters!" they screamed at the organisers, a dark irony since
these were non-Jews shrieking their abuse at Jews.

They were also handing out crudely printed flyers. "Nothing to worry about,
Bob," one of my Jewish hosts remarked. "They can't even spell your name
right." True. But also false. "Stop the Lies!" the leaflet read. "There was
no massacre in Jenin. Fiske [sic] is paid big bucks to spin [lie] for the
Arabs..." But the real lie was in that last sentence. I never take any
payment for lectures  so that no one can ever claim that I'm paid to give
the views of others. But the truth didn't matter to these people. Nor did
the content of my talk  which began, by chance, with the words "There was
no massacre"  in which I described Arafat as a "corrupt, vain little
despot" and suicide bombings as "a fearful, evil weapon". None of this was
relevant. The aim was to shut me up.

Dennis Bernstein sums it up quite simply: "Any US journalist, columnist,
editor, college professor, student-activist, public official or clergy
member who dares to speak critically of Israel or accurately report the
brutalities of its illegal occupation will be vilified as an anti-Semite."
In fact, no sooner had Bernstein made these remarks than pro-Israeli groups
initiated an extraordinary campaign against some of the most pro-Israeli
newspapers in America, all claiming that The New York Times, the Los
Angeles Times and the San Francisco Chronicle were biased in their coverage
of the Middle-East conflict. Just how The New York Times  which boasts
William Safire and Charles Krauthammer, those giants of pro-Israeli bias,
among its writers  could be anti-Israeli is difficult to see, although it
is just possible that, amid its reports on Israel's destruction in the West
Bank and Gaza, some mildly critical comments found their way into print.
The New York Times, for example, did report that Israeli soldiers used
civilians as human shields  though only in the very last paragraph of a
dispatch from Jenin.